Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/11/16 11:44:43 UTC

Jira for Forrest?

As you have seen, I've been messing around a bit with the free copy of
Jira which has been kindly provided to cocoondev.org (the org) by the
folks of Atlassian.

Given the fact that there still is no entry for Forrest at Scarab or at
Bugzilla, that people complain about Scarab's speed, and that we plan on
releasing soon, we might as well use http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/

Jira warns about it abysmal speed while running on TC 4.0.x, so please
post your 'performance impressions'.

Your infrastructure provider ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 10:27:32PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> I just tried adding a "task" and received the following error
> in the browser (linux-mozilla if it matters). I did receive
> a subsequent email that my new issue was created, but maybe
> it was not.
>
> Also it gave me the error as HTML, but the page was not
> rendered. I just see the raw HTML.

> (Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V) Illegal target of jump or branch

Looks like a JSP went over the 64k method barrier. IIRC the Jasper 2 in
Tomcat 4.1.something fixes this by breaking large JSPs into separate
methods.

--Jeff

PS: yes, release is coming.. fixing broken permissions in the zip files.

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 22:27, David Crossley wrote:
>
>>I just tried adding a "task" and received the following error
>>in the browser (linux-mozilla if it matters). I did receive
>>a subsequent email that my new issue was created, but maybe
>>it was not.
>

> Unfortunately thats a bug with tomcat/jasper ;(
>
> I hit it aswell when I tried to get a jira setup for Avalon. One thing you can
> do to avoid this is to move to another servlet engine (or try the
> latest/greatest TC) or maybe migrate to the simple installer from jira (which
> includes minimalist jboss/jetty combo) and then tie that into a real
> database. Thats what I did and it worked well but I am not sure how well (if
> at all) it integrates with Apache HTTPD.

Duh - and I hit some others as well.

I'll be polling my infrastructure provider to do an emergency upgrade to
4.1.x, since I don't want to host another app at outerthought.net (I'm
planning to move the Wiki away to wiki.cocoondev.org, too).

So stay tuned!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| "Religion is what the common people see as true, the |
| wise people see as false, and the rulers see as      |
| useful" --Seneca                                     |

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
I just tried adding a "task" and received the following error
in the browser (linux-mozilla if it matters). I did receive
a subsequent email that my new issue was created, but maybe
it was not.

Also it gave me the error as HTML, but the page was not
rendered. I just see the raw HTML.

http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?id=10000
----------
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - Error report</title><STYLE><!--H1{font-family :
sans-serif,Arial,Tahoma;color : white;background-color : #0086b2;}
BODY{font-family : sans-serif,Arial,Tahoma;color :
black;background-color : white;} B{color : white;background-color :
#0086b2;} HR{color : #0086b2;} --></STYLE> </head><body><h1>Apache
Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error</h1><HR size="1"
internal error (Internal Server Error) that prevented it from fulfilling
<pre>javax.servlet.ServletException: (class:
org/apache/jsp/viewissue$jsp, method: _jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V) Illegal target of jump or branch
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:485)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:683)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:431)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:355)
	at
webwork.dispatcher.ServletDispatcher.service(ServletDispatcher.java:322)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(Unknown
Source)
	at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:213)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at
com.atlassian.jira.web.security.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:202)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:213)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at
com.atlassian.jira.web.security.LoginFilter.doFilter(LoginFilter.java:196)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:213)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at
com.atlassian.jira.web.filters.EncodingFilter.doFilter(EncodingFilter.java:29)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:213)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.CertificatesValve.invoke(CertificatesValve.java:246)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2343)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:564)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)
	at
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:943)
	at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:429)
	at org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:495)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)
org/apache/jsp/viewissue$jsp, method: _jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V) Illegal target of jump or branch
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1576)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.load(JspServlet.java:139)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspServlet.java:179)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:189)
	at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:382)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:474)

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>>Remaining questions:
>>
>>- someone must be assigned to the 'project lead' role, and I start to
>>appreciate the no-role-account policy Brian has for ASF-infrastructure.
>>So who would be willing to step forward? It doesn't mean anything - just
>>that your name is displayed at
>>http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa, and perhaps some
>>people will be bugging you directly - but we are used to that already.
>

> How about "Private Forrest Gump" ... seriously.
> His email address could be forrest-dev@

I tried that first, but it opens up that account for some light hacking:
one can request a password change and the new password is then mailed to
the list. So I opted for the no-role-account policy.

> This could be based on "functional" areas of concern. This is
> also something that we need to address for solving the issues of
> "over-documentation".

I have it a go - pleas cross-check.

>>- anyone willing to co-administer Jira - adding components, versions,
>>etc - I would like to have some decent geograpically dispersion so that
>>administrators are 'on call' where- and whenever the sun shines.
>

> Could we just have all committers to be the administrators?

Nope, since administrators can manage more than one project. And I'm
planning on adding other projects when cocoondev.org 'the community'
becomes reality (e.g. for xReporter).

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Steven Noels wrote:
<snip/>

> Remaining questions:
>
> - someone must be assigned to the 'project lead' role, and I start to
> appreciate the no-role-account policy Brian has for ASF-infrastructure.
> So who would be willing to step forward? It doesn't mean anything - just
> that your name is displayed at
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa, and perhaps some
> people will be bugging you directly - but we are used to that already.

How about "Private Forrest Gump" ... seriously.
His email address could be forrest-dev@

> - is it OK if I add a link to our Jira instance to the website
> (http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10000)

When it works and it is ready for action, yes.

> - we need to come up with a list of components and versions - any ideas?

This could be based on "functional" areas of concern. This is
also something that we need to address for solving the issues of
"over-documentation".

> - anyone willing to co-administer Jira - adding components, versions,
> etc - I would like to have some decent geograpically dispersion so that
> administrators are 'on call' where- and whenever the sun shines.

Could we just have all committers to be the administrators?

--David

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

>>- someone must be assigned to the 'project lead' role, and I start to
>>appreciate the no-role-account policy Brian has for ASF-infrastructure.
>>So who would be willing to step forward? It doesn't mean anything - just
>>that your name is displayed at
>>http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa, and perhaps some
>>people will be bugging you directly - but we are used to that already.
>

> "Lead: Steven Noels" looks fine to me.

Not really, but anyway.

>>- is it OK if I add a link to our Jira instance to the website
>>(http://issues.cocoondev.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10000)
>

> I just tried to enter a bugreport and got the same crash.. probably we
> should only link when it works.

Sure.

>>- we need to come up with a list of components and versions - any ideas?
>

> How about:
>
> Versions: 0.2, 0.3-dev
>
> Components (taken from status.xml):
>   schema (DTD improvements)
>   skins  (XSLT presentation)
>   seed   (seed project bugs)
>   webapp (running Forrest with a live cocoon)
>   validation (forrest.build.xml project validation)
>   other  (anything else)
> ---
>   docs   (Forrest website)
>   build  (Source build problems)
>   code   (Source code)

Slightly rephrasing:

  * Building Forrest
  * XML grammars & validation (including catalogs et al)
  * Forrest skins
  * The forrestbot
  * shbat distribution (Forrest CLI)
  * webapp (Jetty)
  * wiki (will add it when it's 'ready')
  * Forrest website
  * others

Added those to the current list - feel free to edit.

>>- anyone willing to co-administer Jira - adding components, versions,
>>etc - I would like to have some decent geograpically dispersion so that
>>administrators are 'on call' where- and whenever the sun shines.
>

> I can have a go.  Bottom right corner of the world :)

You're in. Mind you that you will be able to administer other potential
cocoondev projects, too.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 04:35:33PM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
> >As you have seen, I've been messing around a bit with the free copy of
> >Jira which has been kindly provided to cocoondev.org (the org) by the
> >folks of Atlassian.

Thanks for setting it all up..

> Status update: I've been tweaking the Jira instance at
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/ a bit, and already found out about the
> 'legendary support' by the Atlassian guys :-)
>
> While we still can't fully depend on it since it is awaiting a pending
> upgrade to Tomcat 4.1.x, which has been kindly promised by Dan @
> AOIndustries, I'm already trying to structure things a bit so that it is
> ready when the infrastructure is.
>
> I've subscribed a dummy mail address issues@cocoondev.org to
> forrest-dev@xml.apache.org, and added a ProjectMailListener to Jira so
> that new issues and updates to existing ones are also copied to the
> list, Bugzilla-style. I've also enabled the option so that issues can
> remain 'unassigned' until someone picks it - the alternative being
> auto-assignment to the project lead, which IMO defeats its purpose.
>
> Once Forrest committers have created an account on
> http://issues.cocoondev.org/, I'll make them part of the
> 'forrest-developers' group so that they can edit, assign, resolve, close
> and delete issues. Or I could create these accounts myself - just let me
> know what you prefer.

I've created myself a user 'jefft'.

Re: Jira for Forrest?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.