Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2007/02/28 19:38:52 UTC

Kernel and Runtime release

We've had a couple of users recently talk about issues running
samples etc. many of which would go away if there was a release
available for them to use. I think we should do a release from trunk.

This would include:
* the 1.0 spec jars
* kernel
* runtime (including war and itest plugin)
* core-samples (source only)

I'll start to pull together the necessary artifacts for us to vote on.
--
Jeremy

Re: Kernel and Runtime release

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Jim Marino wrote:
> For versioning the SCA jar, how about: 1.0-incubating?

That was what I was thinking as well. This would make the artifact:

org.osoa:sca-api-r1.0-1.0-incubating:jar

which separates the spec revision "r1.0" from the jar version "1.0-
incubating" which allows us to release multiple versions of the jar
for the same version of the spec (something that has been shown as
necessary by other projects like geronimo-spec).

> For kernel, runtime, and the samples, I think it should be
> something with "alpha". Since a lot of refactoring and new features
> have been introduced, perhaps we call it 1.0-alpha-incubating or
> 2.0-alpha-incubating?
>
> As a rule of thumb, my preference is for the major version of the
> SCA jar to correspond with the spec. We may want to rev the minor
> spec version for bug fixes. For kernel and runtime, however, I
> don't think the major version should be tied to the SCA spec
> version as there will be many cases where we want to have a release
> that does not correspond to a spec revision or have spec-specific
> features.

Perhaps 2.0-alpha-incubating might be better then :-)

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> We've had a couple of users recently talk about issues running
> samples etc. many of which would go away if there was a release
> available for them to use. I think we should do a release from trunk.
>
> This would include:
> * the 1.0 spec jars
> * kernel
> * runtime (including war and itest plugin)
> * core-samples (source only)
>
> I'll start to pull together the necessary artifacts for us to vote on.
> --
> Jeremy

For versioning the SCA jar, how about: 1.0-incubating?  For kernel,
runtime, and the samples, I think it should be something with
"alpha". Since a lot of refactoring and new features have been
introduced, perhaps we call it 1.0-alpha-incubating or 2.0-alpha-
incubating?

As a rule of thumb, my preference is for the major version of the SCA
jar to correspond with the spec. We may want to rev the minor spec
version for bug fixes. For kernel and runtime, however, I don't think
the major version should be tied to the SCA spec version as there
will be many cases where we want to have a release that does not
correspond to a spec revision or have spec-specific features.

After these releases, I'd also like to start independently releasing
some of the extensions such as Spring, JPA, and DataSoruce. Meeraj
mentioned he is interested in getting Groovy out as well.

  Jim