Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca> on 2004/09/28 17:37:20 UTC

[users@httpd] AWStats and security

I have a question for anyone else using awstats for their website stats.

I have it installed and running ok. But want to protect the stats so
only valid users can access their stats.  I have created a .htaccess
file to make sure only valid users can get in but how are people
protecting valid users from looking at other valid users website stats.
I don't want customer A looking at customers B stats.

I see that you can have awstats make static web pages using
"staticlinks" but I want to keep it dynamic.

How are other people protecting their awstats.

Thanks,
Mark.

Re: [users@httpd] AWStats and security

Posted by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca>.
Yes your way will work, but you will have a fairly long Vhost setup for
each customer now.

You can also using /"SetEnv AWSTATS_FORCE_CONFIG customerA" in your
Vhost to make it so customers can't overwrite the config filename. in
the URL

I have been just reading the security doc on awstats website:
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_security.html

To me you have 2 different options that will work.
Method 1:
One common .htaccess with all your customers then in each awstats config
file you use /AllowAccessFromWebToAuthenticatedUsersOnly = 1 and
AllowAccessFromWebToFollowingAuthenticatedUsers = customerA to protect
the config file other customer.
Method 2:
In each vhost you have their own .htaccess and use /SetEnv
AWSTATS_FORCE_CONFIG customerA OR your method of mod_rewrite.

I have not tested this out but both look like they will get the job
done. It is up to the webmaster what method they like better. I think
Method 1 for me would work better, only one .htaccess file to manage and
set the customer config file right the first time you make it.
/
Just my two cents.
Mark.

Mark McCulligh, Web Consultant