Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/03/23 04:17:39 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine/src/java/org/apache/turbine/util HttpUtils.java

on 3/22/01 4:28 PM, "dlr@apache.org" <dl...@apache.org> wrote:

> +    public static String formatHttpDate(Date date)
> {
> -        return httpDateFormat.format(date);
> +        synchronized (httpDateFormat)
> +        {
> +            return httpDateFormat.format(date);
> +        }
> }

I would like to see the bytecode decompiled to show that there really is an
advantage here...my gut instinct (and hope) would be that the compile would
optimize this into the same bytecode...

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-turbine/src/java/org/apache/turbine/util HttpUtils.java

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

> on 3/22/01 4:28 PM, "dlr@apache.org" <dl...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > +    public static String formatHttpDate(Date date)
> > {
> > -        return httpDateFormat.format(date);
> > +        synchronized (httpDateFormat)
> > +            return httpDateFormat.format(date);
> > }
>
> I would like to see the bytecode decompiled to show that there really is an
> advantage here...my gut instinct (and hope) would be that the compile would
> optimize this into the same bytecode...

I sure as hell hope it wouldn't--I changed the object that is being
synchronized on.

Daniel