Posted to announce@apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2019/08/23 15:44:20 UTC

[CVE-2019-12400] Apache Santuario potentially loads XML parsing code from an untrusted source

The following security advisory is announced for the Apache Santuario - XML
Security for Java project, which is fixed in the recent 2.1.4 release.

[CVEID]:CVE-2019-12400
[PRODUCT]:Apache Santuario - XML Security for Java
[VERSION]:All 2.0.x releases from 2.0.3, all 2.1.x releases before 2.1.4.
[PROBLEMTYPE]:Process Control
[REFERENCES]:
http://santuario.apache.org/secadv.data/CVE-2019-12400.asc?version=1&modificationDate=1566573083000&api=v2
[DESCRIPTION]:In version 2.0.3 of Apache Santuario XML Security for Java, a
caching mechanism
              was introduced to speed up creating new XML documents using a
static pool of
              DocumentBuilders.

              However, if some untrusted code can register a malicious
implementation with
              the thread context class loader first, then this
implementation might be
              cached and re-used by Apache Santuario - XML Security for
Java, leading to
              potential security flaws when validating signed documents,
etc.

For more information, please see the security advisories page of Apache
Santuario: http://santuario.apache.org/secadv.html

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: [CVE-2019-12400] Apache Santuario potentially loads XML parsing code from an untrusted source

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Yes, Scott's interpretation is correct - I'm sorry if the wording of the
CVE was not sufficiently clear. Let me see if there's a way to query the
CVSSv3 score that was assigned to the CVE...

Colm.

Posted by "Cantor, Scott" <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by RvG <ri...@onegini.com>.
Thanks Scott.

Sent from: http://apache-xml-project.6118.n7.nabble.com/Apache-XML-Security-Dev-f33675.html

Re: [CVE-2019-12400] Apache Santuario potentially loads XML parsing code from an untrusted source

Posted by "Cantor, Scott" <ca...@osu.edu>.
My understanding is that the bug has to do with the presence of untrusted XML parsing implementations of the DocumentBuilder interface in a JVM, which implies that you don't control the code in your JVM, or you are tremdendously unwisely mixing code that "matters" with code managed by somebody else you don't trust.

-- Scott

Re: [CVE-2019-12400] Apache Santuario potentially loads XML parsing code from an untrusted source

Posted by RvG <ri...@onegini.com>.
Hi there,

I'm looking for some clarification on this vulnerability. Based on the
description provided it's unclear under what circumstances this
vulnerability exists. For example, what is meant with "a malicious
implementation" - an implementation of what? What exactly are the implied
"potential security flaws"?

Could you clarify the precise impact for the community? At the moment I'm
not certain whether this description implies an arbitrary XML External
Entity attack in nearly all usage conditions, or whether this requires very
specific conditions to be present in the use of Santuario.

Thank you for developing this library - I hope you can help.

--
Sent from: http://apache-xml-project.6118.n7.nabble.com/Apache-XML-Security-Dev-f33675.html