Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr> on 2011/03/02 01:25:14 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Hi,

I would like to announce Crawl Anywhere. Crawl-Anywhere is a Java Web
Crawler. It includes :

    * a crawler
    * a document processing pipeline
    * a solr indexer

The crawler has a web administration in order to manage web sites to be
crawled. Each web site crawl is configured with a lot of possible
parameters (no all mandatory) :

    * number of simultaneous items crawled by site
    * recrawl period rules based on item type (html, PDF, …)
    * item type inclusion / exclusion rules
    * item path inclusion / exclusion / strategy rules
    * max depth
    * web site authentication
    * language
    * country
    * tags
    * collections
    * ...

The pileline includes various ready to use stages (text extraction,
language detection, Solr ready to index xml writer, ...).

All is very configurable and extendible either by scripting or java coding.

With scripting technology, you can help the crawler to handle javascript
links or help the pipeline to extract relevant title and cleanup the
html pages (remove menus, header, footers, ..)

With java coding, you can develop your own pipeline stage stage

The Crawl Anywhere web site provides good explanations and screen shots.
All is documented in a wiki.

The current version is 1.1.4. You can download and try it out from here
: www.crawl-anywhere.com

Regards

Dominique

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by Ramakrishna <ra...@dioxe.com>.
so, There is no way to crawl if they blocked their web-sites to crawl ? I've
one idea, But seems little bit foolish(not works/I've to Modify whole
architecture) still I'm telling, If I use Html-Parser(Jsoup) Instead of
fetcher then? Anyhow Html-parser easily takes all contents of the
web-page.Can i do this.. I think rest of the
parts(segments,updater,indexer,parser) I've to write all these things, I
think it'll(Html-parser) not work with the already existing (parts) if i
replace fetcher with Html-parser.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by Ramakrishna <ra...@dioxe.com>.
so, There is no way to crawl if they blocked their web-sites to crawl ? I've
one idea, But seems little bit foolish(not works/I've to Modify whole
architecture) still I'm telling, If I use Html-Parser(Jsoup) Instead of
fetcher then? Anyhow Html-parser easily takes all contents of the
web-page.Can i do this.. I think rest of the
parts(segments,updater,indexer,parser) I've to write all these things, I
think it'll(Html-parser) not work with the already existing (parts) if i
replace fetcher with Html-parser.

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by ka...@here.com.
Usually, if a webmaster finds that your crawler has ignored their robots.txt, they will block you machine, or maybe even your entire IP block, from accessing their site.

Karl

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by Dominique Bejean <do...@eolya.fr>.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay, but I haven't been checking the mailing list for a
long time.

Crawl-anywhere includes 3 piece of software : a crawler, a pipeline and
a solr indexer.

There is a default Solr schema used by Crawl-anywhere, tested with Solr
1.4.1 and Solr 3.1.0.

But, you can configure the pipeline stage responsible for mapping
crawled data to Solr field. IN the absolute, you can use any schema with
any Solr version.

Regards

Dominique

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com>.
hi Julien ,

I m not sure what do u mean by
"SOLR is now used by default for indexing in Nutch." Does that mean SOLR has
integrated Nutch for crawling web resources?

I checked SOLR wiki but i didnt see something like that, Could u please
provide some details ?

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
> I dont see any activities on Nutch wiki so wondering if its not being
> developed anymore. But most forums say Nutch is standard for solr.

Looking at the mail archives is a good clue of whether a project is still
alive or not. In the case of Nutch, the project is active as you can see on
the list archives below :

http://www.mail-archive.com/user%40nutch.apache.org/
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40nutch.apache.org/

We're about to release a new version (1.3) and have a 2.0 in beta. SOLR is
now used by default for indexing in Nutch.

HTH

Julien Nioche

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler

Posted by ka...@nokia.com.
You might want to look at ManifoldCF also.

Karl

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Web Crawler