Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Selvam T, Palani" <Pa...@altisource.com> on 2011/07/06 17:01:24 UTC

[GENERAL]Perf Testing on virtualized servers

Hi,

We are planning to do load testing on virtual machines as servers, which
is scaled down version of production environment. I would like to know
the pros & cons for virtualized servers for performance testing.

What are the things, should I take care...?

Thanks & Regards,

Palani Selvam

This E-mail message and its attachments, if any are intended solely for the use of the addressee hereof. In addition, this message and the attachments, if any may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating or otherwise using this transmission.

Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient is not intended to waive any right or privilege. If you have received this message in error, please promptly notify the sender by reply E-mail and immediately delete this message from your system.  Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on us until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or free of software virus. While Altisource Portfolio Solutions and its subsidiaries collectively "Altisource" takes every reasonable precaution to minimize such risks, Altisource cannot accept liability for any damage sustained by you or any third party as a result of software viruses.

RE: [GENERAL]Perf Testing on virtualized servers

Posted by "Selvam T, Palani" <Pa...@altisource.com>.
Deepak & Oliver,
 I agree with you. As of now, there is no other choice. I need to live
with it. But it would be changed definitely in future.

Thanks & Regards,
Palani Selvam

Posted by Kirk <ki...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 9, 2011, at 4:02 AM, Deepak Shetty wrote:

>> This is arguably worse than trying to use a scaled down environment for
> load
>> testing and then extrapolating the results up. That generally doesn't work
>> either.
> And yet the world goes on :). Practical realities of most small and medium
> sized projects usually mean that the above is the norm.

It is often *much* easier for small and medium sized organizations to setup representative test environments as they generally have much less to setup. When ever I've walked into a small or medium sized organization I generally have no problems replicating with a few hours of work. The reality is that *most* developers either don't understand or value performance testing. They think they can solve any problem that might show up with minimal effort. Some times it works, other times it sinks the project. And in small to medium sized that generally means it sinks the company behind the project.

That is my experience.

Regards,
Kirk

Re: [GENERAL]Perf Testing on virtualized servers

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
>This is arguably worse than trying to use a scaled down environment for
load
>testing and then extrapolating the results up. That generally doesn't work
>either.
And yet the world goes on :). Practical realities of most small and medium
sized projects usually mean that the above is the norm.

regards
deepak

Posted by Kirk <ki...@gmail.com>.
well, they all pretty much confirm what I've been saying. There are plenty of good reasons to virtualize, performance (under the vast majority of use cases) isn't one of them. Software rarely scales linearly with respect to it's consumption of hardware. Virtualization will parcel out hardware to your application how it sees fit and that is generally in a different pattern with different scaling characteristics than the native environment would have. Net result, test != prod. Conclusion, test environment is likely to expose phantom performance bottlenecks that once "fixed" will likely offer very little if any difference in the performance of the production system.   virtualization

advice, advance at your own peril with this one ;-)

Regards,
Kirk

Posted by Kirk <ki...@gmail.com>.