Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "D. DeCoudras" <dd...@hotmail.com> on 2003/07/08 16:41:01 UTC

Why does Squiggle complain about javascript?

When I try to view an SVG file with Squiggle, I receive an SVG Error
stating, "Unknown language: text/javascript" ... because my SVG file has
javascript encapsulated asCDATA that is a part of a <script> element who's
type attribute is "text/javascript". I use the javascript for SVG
interactivity and state maintenance ... and I realize that it may seem moot
to use javascript with the power of Batik. But, I still don't understand why
I receive an SVG Error (which prevents Squiggle from further rendering my
SVG file)?

-DeCoudras

Re: Why does Squiggle complain about javascript?

Posted by Jim Ley <ji...@jibbering.com>.
"Thomas DeWeese" <Th...@Kodak.com> wrote in message
> Jim Ley wrote:
>
> >"Vincent Hardy" <vi...@sun.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>The type should be "text/ecmascript" not "text/javascript".
> >>

> >Since Batik has a JavaScript interpreter (not an ECMAScript one, although
> >the non-compliances are minimal...) could it not also respond to a made
up
> >javascript mime-type just as it responds to a made up ECMAScript one.
>
>     Sure but the SVG specification doesn't require it :)

Hmm, the problem with that is to get an SVG 1.1 compliant viewer, you're
gonna need to fix bugs in Rhino which make it non-compliant to ECMAScript
(since SVG requires that :-)  and I think you'd be better placed getting the
SVG stuff looking good :-)

>     I'm not sure why you would _want_ to introduce new 'equivilent'
> script types.

Well why not, it wouldn't be wrong, and then us users could use a mime-type
that whilst equally as wrong as text/ecmascript at least has more support in
the wild. You would also be consistent with inline and external scripts as I
understand batik still processes external javascripts served as
text/javascript.

Jim.

Jim.

Re: Why does Squiggle complain about javascript?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Jim Ley wrote:

>"Vincent Hardy" <vi...@sun.com> wrote in message
>

>>The type should be "text/ecmascript" not "text/javascript".
>>

>Since Batik has a JavaScript interpreter (not an ECMAScript one, although
>the non-compliances are minimal...) could it not also respond to a made up
>javascript mime-type just as it responds to a made up ECMAScript one.

Hi Jim,

Posted by Jim Ley <ji...@jibbering.com>.

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Hello,

The type should be "text/ecmascript" not "text/javascript".

There are multiple examples of scripting using ECMAScript in the
samples/tests/spec/scripting directory.

Regards,
Vincent.