Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Viktors Rotanovs <Vi...@Rotanovs.com> on 2002/02/20 06:37:38 UTC

OT: Poll - Cocoon usage

Hi,

just curious -- how do you guys and girls use Cocoon for anything except
building websites?

Some good examples I've seen on the list:
 -> generation of documentation
 -> integration into products
 -> creation of custom content management systems
 -> generation of reports
 -> add your own, preferably with the most intriguing details :-)

Please e-mail me privately and I'll post the summary to the list.

~/.viktors
--
http://rotanovs.com/cms

Re: OT: Poll - Cocoon usage

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@visitronics.be>.
I'm doing two projects now.  Both are web sites, but with some extra "kick
butt" features.
1) A site for a society where different people need to manage different
parts of the site.  One is responsible for the member administration,
another for the financial part, another for the organization of conferences
and another for the content of a magazine.  Since all these people are
scattered across Belgium the administration of this society was sometimes
real chaos.
The site will serve two purposes: let the people responsible for their part
edit the content of only that part and an administration part where they
can administer everything regarding the members.  Everybody only has access
to the part he/she's responsible for.  As well as the site (public and
member only part) as the administrative part.
I chose Cocoon for this because it lets me generate PDF documents
on-line.  This will be used to generate welcome letters, mailings,
subscription confirmations, etc ...

2) An intranet application to administer everything (really everything)
that has to do with the internships of the residents in anesthesiology of a
the largest hospital in Belgium.  This is mainly reporting and rule
defining.  ex.  When someone is ill or pregnant for more than 15 weeks his
residency will be prolonged for the time he/she is over those 15
weeks.  Lists of the people on call need to be defined keeping in mind
every possible exception (illness, holiday, conference, been on call, ...)
Lists of classes, people on call, vacations, illnesses, conferences,
residencies abroad, ...  everything must be included.
This site will be accessible within the hospital and every resident will be
able to get and enter the info relevant for him/her.  This info can change
quiet a lot during the 5 year of residency.
In a later phase the staff members will be added too.
For this project I chose Cocoon to be able to build a complete platform
where I can create and edit forms and pages on-line by combining the
development from both projects.

Once the complete platform is finished I will look into plugging it on top
of SAP (one of the worlds biggest administration programs).  Since SAP runs
on a multitude of OSes I needed a platform that could run on all those
platforms.  Java, XML and XSLT seemed the logical solution.  Cocoon has all
of this, and a lot more.

Bert