Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Paul Nock <pn...@medicineplanet.com> on 2001/03/06 23:39:48 UTC

Some simple performance results... (was-RE: stability of 1.8.3-dev?)

On the subject of speed:

I did some simple tests with my setup:
XSP + 2 or 3 levels of XSLT.
XSP isn't very complex: I'm querying a few servlet parameters and stuff.
Pages are short: <2000 bytes each
Stylesheets are 20kb or so.

With 1.8.2 and Xalan1.2.2, I get average response of around 300-400ms, with
a standard deviation of 200-250ms (it varies a bit with my stylesheets)
With 1.8.3 and Saxon 6.2.1 and everything else the same, the average
response is about 20-30ms.  Standard deviation is also similarly improved.

Looking at the response graph, it's actually a lot better than this. The
Xalan response times are very wide - as shown by the standard deviation.
The Saxon response curve is pretty flat - very few big spikes in response.
For what it's worth, my result with Saxon seemed to be better than "FYI:
Relative Speeds of XSL Engines" from the archive, which was using Saxon
6.0.1.

Platform: Linux, Apache/Tomacat 3.2, Sun Jdk1.3
I used Jmeter to load test, using 100 clients and an average delay time of 7
seconds.

Paul