Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/01/28 00:33:15 UTC

Happy to be wrong!

Have you ever been happy to be wrong?

Of course, not always, but sometimes it feels good to see something that
you were missing before and understanding that doing this you saved lots
of pain and wasted resources.

Federico and I went to dinner out tonight and we came to the conclusion
than the XSP specification can be _totally_ represented as an
Extended-XSLT taglib. Nothing of what I've previously said is true: you
gain nothing by using XSP.

The problem I had was driven by the "stylesheet compilation" idea. I'll
will explain shortly why I think this is misleading and I will also
explain this in a moment.

As you all know, the XSP idea came after seeing lots of holes in JSP
support for XML. This doesn't go away. JSP cannot be used inside Cocoon
and this won't change soon.

Ok, let's move on: this is the XSP model how I imagined it

 XML -XSLT-> XSP -something-> Java -javac-> Class -execution-> XML

Ricardo added something and this is how it's done today

 XML -XSLT-taglibs-> XSP -XSLT-> java -javac-> producer -execution-> XML

Many proposed the use of E-XSLT to do the same thing... my concerns
where due mainly to performance reasons but they went away... let's
see... you suggest to do something like this

 XML -EXSLT-> XML

as you see, there is a topological equivalence between the two, being
the XSP model, a way to express how an E-XSLT engine should work
internally. This was not clear when I designed XSP since it was Ricardo
that added the namespace-taglib driven idea to the XSP spec. This
completely changed the picture.

The only concern I had, was still performance: how can EXSLT work faster
than a compiled server page? simple, it can't.

Scott proposed stylesheet compilation as a solution: but in my mind I
could not see how compiling a stylesheet would help... true, you could
simplify many things and do faster transformations but you still had to
do XML parsing, events feeding, tree creation and evaluation and a bunch
of stuff...

Tonight, Federico opened my eyes (man, I'll miss that guy! these
exoffice mean men are stealing all my friends, damn it! :)

A smart E-XSLT engine should _not_ perform stylesheet compilation (which
may be helpful but no that much), but do _page_ compilation. Let's look
again:

 XML -EXSLT-> Java -javac-> producer -execution-> XML

so, if we evaluate the two with what Cocoon does today we get

 -EXSLT-> := -XSLT-taglibs-> XSP -XSLT->

which makes XSP totally useless since it's just a step between XSLT
transformations.

QED :)

NOTE: I still like the ability to use XSP as a taglib for direct code
inclusion inside a page, it may be helpful.

Anyway, I'll happily let Ricardo and all you other XSLT experts figure
out the way to make the above possible, but I've been finally convinced
and I'm a happy guy now :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Tonight, Federico opened my eyes (man, I'll miss that guy! these
> exoffice mean men are stealing all my friends, damn it! :)

PLUR :) We're just preparing the friendliest environment for when you'll
join after your graduation :) hahahahahahahahahaha :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Eric SCHAEFFER <es...@posterconseil.com>.
Posted by Paul Davies <pd...@cgocable.net>.
This really clarifies the issue.
A Web Publishing Framework seems to me the more important thing at this
time. There'll be armies of developers jumping on applications extrensions
when a robust publishing framework is in place, but only a few capable of
creating the latter (such as you guys).
There's a grey area in the middle, though.
That is -- not glossing over any ambiguities putting it this way -- what
developers need most in an XML/XSL framework, I think (on top of the very
significant general all-browser document binding Cocoon provides), is an
engine prefigured to serve the XML description statements pertinent to their
applications, whether CML, MathML, SMIL, SQL, XLink, and so on. Just
contained DTD bundles, perhaps -- but in another sense the publishing
framework become a full application server. In the same way ColdFusion
bundles a broad set of description statements, and the capability of custom
applications extensions, but is first (I think!?) a publishing framework.

Paul

Posted by Steve Muench <sm...@us.oracle.com>.
Like XSP "tags" any/all XSLT extensions elements can:

  (*) Optionally do arbitrary processing
  (*) Optionally write something to result page

This is a pretty open-ended model that doesn't
pin you into publishing versus app development.

you might argue that in the appdevelopment
scenario the "arbitrary processing part"
plays a bigger role, perhaps writing nothing
into the result page, but any combination is
possible.

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Ted <te...@gs2admin1.e-meet.com>.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Could you two keep the private "encouragements" off-list...
> It radiates the wrong atmosphere to newcomers.

Sorry about that :) It'll never happen again :)

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > If this is "radiating the wrong atmosphere to newcomers"... well, I like
> > its practical results.
> >
> > Anyway, I agree we went a little bit too much down the line... sorry
> > about that.
>
> Nothing wrong with the joking, but calling each other names is a bit much.
> That's all.

At least they only said "dork" and "moron". I got called an "ignorant
slut" on the new-httpd list once. :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Y19100 no-prize winner!
http://www.ntk.net/index.cgi?back=2000/now0121.txt

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> If this is "radiating the wrong atmosphere to newcomers"... well, I like
> its practical results.
>
> Anyway, I agree we went a little bit too much down the line... sorry
> about that.

Nothing wrong with the joking, but calling each other names is a bit much.
That's all.

Niclas

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> > > You _are_ a dork, that's why :)
> > Thanks :) (moron!)
>
> Could you two keep the private "encouragements" off-list...
> It radiates the wrong atmosphere to newcomers.

I modestly think the opposite... I've made lots of friends on these mail
lists and joking is the best way to set up a fun substrate to work with.

Man, we've been doing this for almost 2 and 1/2 years... after pier, jon
and myself took over the jserv mail list which such an attitude (before
it was _way_ more serious and boring) we grew the jserv project from 200
of a single list to 20 projects and thousands of people on all the mail
lists.

If this is "radiating the wrong atmosphere to newcomers"... well, I like
its practical results.

Anyway, I agree we went a little bit too much down the line... sorry
about that.

Stefano.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@localbar.com>.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > > Have you ever been happy to be wrong?
> > Nope... :) It makes me feel like a dork :)
> You _are_ a dork, that's why :)

Thanks :) (moron!)

> > You basically apply the transformation and THEN compile the resulting
> > XML... Did I get it right????
>
> No. That way you come up with a compiled static page.

????

> Ok, suppose you have a page like this
> where time: is your taglib and gets executed as
>  (hour <= 12) ? "morning" : "afternoon"
> (don't look at the logic that sucks)
> the EXSLT output could be either
>
>  public class Producer {
>    int hour = new Date().getHour();
>    void producer (request, response, handler) {
>        handler.startDocument();
>        handler.createElement("p");
>        handler.content("Good ");
>        handler.content((hour <= 12) ? "morning" : "afternoon");
>        handler.closeElement("p");
>        handler.endDocument();
>    }
>  }

That's what I was thinking... Exactly that...

> or
>
>  <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> depending on what "mode" of operation we choosed: interpretation or
> compilation.

Exactly... Yes... that's what I meant when i said "apply the
transformation"... I should have said "transform it into a java source",
sorry :)(

> See how, in the first case, execution of that class alone, once compiled
> into bytecode, totally skips xml parsing and xslt transformation,
> resulting in a much faster execution.

Yep yep... That's what I was saying...

> Note that "compilaton mode" is exactly what XSP is today, and
> "interpretation mode" is what EXSLT should be. But it's an
> implementation detail (even if a big one) to trigger one behavior or the
> other, not a design decision.
> That is the point where I was wrong.

Agreed....

> Still, the implementation details are a nightmare, but since we already
> have a working XSP implementation, it could not be that bad... but I
> this point, I can't really tell and I'm happy to have others taking care
> of this :)

:) you lazy boy :)

> > I still have to figure out HOW it's possible (from the implementation
> > point of view) but I believe it's possible...
>
> It's time for the "XSLT" folks to come up with something about this :)

(just to let you all know) I AM NOT AN XSLT FOLK :)

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Steve Muench <sm...@us.oracle.com>.

| It's time for the "XSLT" folks to come up
| with something about this :)

Too early to say anything official on this yet, but
as you can imagine existing implementations of
extension-element functionality (Saxon 5.0, Xalan,
and soon OracleXSLT) and extension-element-like
functionality (xsp,cocoon Producer,others?) definitely
will serve as guides to implementation approaches
in any work we may do to refine the details.

I believe Scott's points have been that even in absence
of more specific details, what's in the 1.0 spec can
be used to align the page syntax for content generation
around XSLT Extension Elements, using XSP as a cool
way to design libraries of implementations of extension
elements.

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
XSL Working Group Rep for Oracle

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> (hour <= 12) ? "morning" : "afternoon"
>
> (don't look at the logic that sucks)
>
> the EXSLT output could be either
>
> public class Producer {
>
> int hour = new Date().getHour();
>
> void producer (request, response, handler) {
> handler.startDocument();
> handler.createElement("p");
> handler.content("Good ");
> handler.content((hour <= 12) ? "morning" : "afternoon");
> handler.closeElement("p");
> handler.endDocument();
> }
> }
>
> or
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> depending on what "mode" of operation we choosed: interpretation or
> compilation.
>
> See how, in the first case, execution of that class alone, once compiled
> into bytecode, totally skips xml parsing and xslt transformation,
> resulting in a much faster execution.

I'm not sure how you can skip over XSLT transformation by creating a
producer.  The XSP generated code I've looked at just adds a PI to tell the
output what xsl sheet to use for transformation, right??  Isn't this exactly
how XSP works today?

Mike

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> This is the "real" answer...
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Have you ever been happy to be wrong?
>
> Nope... :) It makes me feel like a dork :)

You _are_ a dork, that's why :)

 > [...]
> > The only concern I had, was still performance: how can EXSLT work faster
> > than a compiled server page? simple, it can't.
>
> That's the point...

Yes.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
This is the "real" answer...

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Have you ever been happy to be wrong?

Nope... :) It makes me feel like a dork :)

> [...]
> Federico and I went to dinner out tonight and we came to the conclusion
> than the XSP specification can be _totally_ represented as an
> Extended-XSLT taglib. Nothing of what I've previously said is true: you
> gain nothing by using XSP.

Hmmm... Interesting point... Those Italian nights seems to be still
productive, even in my absence :)

> [...]
> The only concern I had, was still performance: how can EXSLT work faster
> than a compiled server page? simple, it can't.

That's the point...

> Scott proposed stylesheet compilation as a solution: but in my mind I
> could not see how compiling a stylesheet would help... true, you could
> simplify many things and do faster transformations but you still had to
> do XML parsing, events feeding, tree creation and evaluation and a bunch
> of stuff...

For XML parsing... I think I have a solution...

> Tonight, Federico opened my eyes (man, I'll miss that guy! these
> exoffice mean men are stealing all my friends, damn it! :)

Read the other reply :)

> A smart E-XSLT engine should _not_ perform stylesheet compilation (which
> may be helpful but no that much), but do _page_ compilation. Let's look
> again:
>
>  XML -EXSLT-> Java -javac-> producer -execution-> XML
>
> so, if we evaluate the two with what Cocoon does today we get
>
>  -EXSLT-> := -XSLT-taglibs-> XSP -XSLT->
>
> which makes XSP totally useless since it's just a step between XSLT
> transformations.

You basically apply the transformation and THEN compile the resulting
XML... Did I get it right????
In that case, you have to specify how you can include code into the XML,
but I believe it's possible...

> QED :)

This brings me back to high school time ... Quod Erat Demostrandum...

> NOTE: I still like the ability to use XSP as a taglib for direct code
> inclusion inside a page, it may be helpful.

Yep...

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Ted <te...@gs2admin1.e-meet.com>.
> At the end: XSP will remain. Period. Is that clear enough?

Yes.

> > Case 2:

Perhaps:
...which makes XSP redundant since...
would have reduced the panic:)

Everything is clear, sir. Thank you!

Ted

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Ted <te...@gs2admin1.e-meet.com>.
Stefano,

Take a look at this quotes I snipped from you! Of course you would
create a stir here, being the headmaster of this effort:

Case 1:
> >1) XSP is going nowhere!!!

Case 2:

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> 1) XSP is going nowhere!!! The whole thread is about implementation
> details and distribution of code and human resources to the Xalan/Cocoon
> project and some theorical reasonings that we had since may 99 (yes,
> guys, I'm slow, I know that!)

Your pardon, guys, I just discovered the root of my misunderstanding. You
say, 'XSP is going nowhere' or alternately 'XSP is not going anywhere',
meaning 'XSP is here to stay, we like XSP, we will keep using XSP'.

I read, 'XSP is going nowhere' or alternately 'XSP is not going anywhere',
and understand you to mean, 'XSP is a dead end, no one is using XSP, we're
not going to continue to improve and enhance XSP'. Therein lies much of
the confusion, I suspect.

- donald

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> So, if you planned/started to use XSP, go right ahead full steam: they
> have never been so solid as today.
Aye, aye captain...

:-)

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Have you ever been happy to be wrong?
> >
> Sorry to be so ignorant but where does that leave dynamic content
> generation?  What is the link between code that does business logic, data
> access, etc. and the XML page you're trying to transform?
>
> Also as I've been thinking about moving my JSP to XSP, will XSP be supported
> well enough into the future that people can use XSP now because we have work
> to do and then move to E-XSLT when that is ready. It sounds like that is
> pretty long ways off in development terms.

NONONONONO... :)

Sorry, people, I should have sent that mail privately to the people
involved... it contains many details that were dealt with privately so I
will explain futher for those of you who didn't get a clue on what was
going on :)

1) XSP is going nowhere!!! The whole thread is about implementation
details and distribution of code and human resources to the Xalan/Cocoon
project and some theorical reasonings that we had since may 99 (yes,
guys, I'm slow, I know that!)

2) XSP is a namespace and a taglib. We _guarantee_ that we'll continue
to support it one way or the other... it will change _how_ their
execution/compilation is performed, but it will not change how the spec
is done and how your pages are executed.

3) point 1 and 2 are carved in stone! So it's point 3)

4) It might happen that XSP influence JSP-next to fix some of their XML
problems. If this happens, we'll provide a smoot XSP to JSP-next
transition with transformation sheets that allow you not to waste time
on porting you stuff over. READ CAREFULLY: it _might_ happen, or if this
doesn't happen we'll stay with XSP.

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Have you ever been happy to be wrong?
> >
> Sorry to be so ignorant but where does that leave dynamic content
> generation?  What is the link between code that does business logic, data
> access, etc. and the XML page you're trying to transform?

If XSP is a taglib for E-XSLT, you will be able to include code into
your source documents... As you do with XSP today :)

> Also as I've been thinking about moving my JSP to XSP, will XSP be supported
> well enough into the future that people can use XSP now because we have work
> to do and then move to E-XSLT when that is ready. It sounds like that is
> pretty long ways off in development terms.

I am thinking if it's possible to convert current XSP into the future
E-XSLT code...

Re: Happy to be wrong!

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.