Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tony Han Bao <to...@mac.com> on 2005/03/31 22:22:53 UTC

New to SVN, two general feature questions

Hi,

I'm new to SVN (and version control altogether) so please be patient.

I am planning to switch from CVS to SVN. There are two basic features I
really would like to have that CVS does not support. Can SVN help me?

1)

I set up a central repository on my server where I have access to at
work (desktop) and at home (laptop). Life is wonderful! Next thing I
know I am going to a conference where there are no internet connections
(yes, there are such conferences) and I still need to work on the
project. I have my laptop but without access to the repository, I have
no version control.

Ideally, I would like to have a local sub "repository" sort of thing
that I can work off-line and still have a version history stored when
later on upon my return, I can fully merge these history into the main
repository on the server like I was never away. Can subversion do this?

I don't want to set up another repository on the laptop, import the
project to it starting from version 0.0.0.1, work on it, check out
every revision, commit them back one by one to the central repository.

2)

A group of us work on one set of files. I would like to do some major
changes to one or few of the files and I want to announce it to the
other people so that they are aware of what I'm about to do.

In SVN, is it possible to set watch and messages on files so that every
one who has a working copy of the file can be notified of the actions
on the file. Not just a new version has been committed so I should
update, but also things like some one has just checkout a new copy or
bob has put a announcement on this file saying stay clear for 2 days
for him to finish, etc...

I want an overview of the current status of the project, updated
regularly, on the level of the version control system so that I know
what's going on with other people before I decide which part of the
project I should focus on in one system.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Han Bao
tonybao@mac.com

Re: New to SVN, two general feature questions

Posted by Tony Han Bao <to...@mac.com>.
Hi

Thank you all for the reply. Your help and advise are much appreciated.

Posted by Steve Greenland <st...@lsli.com>.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 05:37:37PM -0500, William Nagel wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Tony Han Bao wrote:
> >Ideally, I would like to have a local sub "repository" sort of thing
> >that I can work off-line and still have a version history stored when
> >later on upon my return, I can fully merge these history into the main
> >repository on the server like I was never away. Can subversion do
> >this?
>
> You might want to take a look at SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/).  It's a
> distributed version control system built on top of SVN.  I've never
> used it, but I think it does what you want.

Yes, SVK will do what you want. See

http://www.bieberlabs.com/wordpress/archives/category/software-development/svk/

for some nice tutorials (start at the bottom post, and read up.)

Steve

--
"Outlook not so good." That magic 8-ball knows everything! I'll ask
about Exchange Server next.

Re: New to SVN, two general feature questions

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
On Mar 31, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Tony Han Bao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to SVN (and version control altogether) so please be patient.
>
> I am planning to switch from CVS to SVN. There are two basic features
> I really would like to have that CVS does not support. Can SVN help
> me?
>
> 1)
>
> I set up a central repository on my server where I have access to at
> work (desktop) and at home (laptop). Life is wonderful! Next thing I
> know I am going to a conference where there are no internet
> connections (yes, there are such conferences) and I still need to work
> on the project. I have my laptop but without access to the repository,
> I have no version control.
>
> Ideally, I would like to have a local sub "repository" sort of thing
> that I can work off-line and still have a version history stored when
> later on upon my return, I can fully merge these history into the main
> repository on the server like I was never away. Can subversion do
> this?
>
> I don't want to set up another repository on the laptop, import the
> project to it starting from version 0.0.0.1, work on it, check out
> every revision, commit them back one by one to the central repository.

You could get this by doing a dump of the revisions you committed on
your laptop and then load the dumpfile into your main subversion
repository.  This is clumsy and error-prone, though.  It also requires
you to have direct access to both repositories, since you can't do a
dump or load through the Subversion client.

You might want to take a look at SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/).  It's a
distributed version control system built on top of SVN.  I've never
used it, but I think it does what you want.

> 2)
>
> A group of us work on one set of files. I would like to do some major
> changes to one or few of the files and I want to announce it to the
> other people so that they are aware of what I'm about to do.
>
> In SVN, is it possible to set watch and messages on files so that
> every one who has a working copy of the file can be notified of the
> actions on the file. Not just a new version has been committed so I
> should update, but also things like some one has just checkout a new
> copy or bob has put a announcement on this file saying stay clear for
> 2 days for him to finish, etc...

Subversion doesn't support this.  You could implement commit
notifications using hook scripts, but there's no good way to get
notifications of other actions.

> I want an overview of the current status of the project, updated
> regularly, on the level of the version control system so that I know
> what's going on with other people before I decide which part of the
> project I should focus on in one system.

You might want to take a look at Traq (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/).
It provides a web-interface to Subversion, along with integrated issue
tracking and a wiki.

-Bill

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On Mar 31, 2005, at 5:22 PM, Tony Han Bao wrote:

> 2)
>
> A group of us work on one set of files. I would like to do some major
> changes to one or few of the files and I want to announce it to the
> other people so that they are aware of what I'm about to do.
>
> In SVN, is it possible to set watch and messages on files so that
> every one who has a working copy of the file can be notified of the
> actions on the file. Not just a new version has been committed so I
> should update, but also things like some one has just checkout a new
> copy or bob has put a announcement on this file saying stay clear for
> 2 days for him to finish, etc...

You can wait a bit for version 1.2 which supports file locking, so
others can't edit the files while you have them locked.  Though
multiple changes to the same text file will usually merge fine.  I
think the subversion book explains the benefits and drawbacks.

The subversion repository has no idea who already has a working copy
and can't *push* notifications based on that.

> I want an overview of the current status of the project, updated
> regularly, on the level of the version control system so that I know
> what's going on with other people before I decide which part of the
> project I should focus on in one system.

Is 'svn log' good enough for this?  Perhaps combined with commit
emails.  Or you could write a custom post-commit hook that updated some
sort of summary file for you.

Scott