Posted to dev@dlab.apache.org by Bohdan Hliva <Bo...@epam.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/28 13:13:20 UTC

[MENTORS] Release support

Dear mentors,

I have some questions regarding release:
1. Release headers:

  *   All headers are updated as described here http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html;
  *   There are some files in source code that does not support comments: e.g. .json, .txt, .ipynb, some config files etc. How to be with such files?

2. Notice and License files are also updated. Could you please check whether it correct or not?
3. There also was a note regarding provenance of picture that we use for test purpose. Should we include some link of source from which it was downloaded?
4. Compiled code exists in source release. Should we store it somewhere separately?

Thanks in advance!

Re: [MENTORS] Release support

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
LGTM.

Could you kickoff another VOTE thread for v2.1 RC 1 then?

Thanks,

- Henry

Re: [MENTORS] Release support

Posted by Bohdan Hliva <Bo...@epam.com.INVALID>.
Hi Henry,

Changes are in v2.1 branch https://github.com/apache/incubator-dlab/tree/v2.1

BOHDAN HLIVA
Lead Software Engineer

Office: +380 322 424 642 x 42572   Cell: +380 63 151 2201   Email: bohdan_hliva@epam.com<ma...@epam.com>
Lviv, Ukraine   epam.com<http://epam.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER
This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and contains information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. All unintended recipients are obliged to delete this message and destroy any printed copies.

Re: [MENTORS] Release support

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: [MENTORS] Release support

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 01:29PM, Bohdan Hliva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone help us with that?
>

> BOHDAN HLIVA
>
> On Feb 28, 2019, at 15:13, Bohdan Hliva <Bo...@epam.com.INVALID>> wrote:
>
> Dear mentors,
>
> I have some questions regarding release:
> 1. Release headers:
> *   All headers are updated as described here
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html;
> *   There are some files in source code that does not support comments: e.g.
> .json, .txt, .ipynb, some config files etc. How to be with such files?

Technically, you don't have to have a header in each file of your project that
is immaterial to the project's code. Say, configs or text files are a typical
examples. Apache has this RAT project [1] in the form of Maven plugin or a
java program for release audits. It is quite useful to quickly make sure your
code is up to the usual release expectations. Also, it has a way to exclude
some project files to avoid false positives.

> 2. Notice and License files are also updated. Could you please check whether
> it correct or not?
>
> 3. There also was a note regarding provenance of picture that we use for
> test purpose. Should we include some link of source from which it was
> downloaded?
>
> 4. Compiled code exists in source release. Should we store it somewhere
> separately?

Binaries shouldn't be a part of the release as there's no way to check their
license. How do we suppose to know if this binary didn't come with an
incompatible license? Then your release's users will inherit a conflict and
would have to - potentially - clean up a huge mess.

Generally, you should ask yourself why do you actually require a binary as a
part of your source code? If you need some pre-compiled code as a part of the
build, you always can compile it as a pre-build step or something like this.
If it is a binary, you should be able to get away by having a dependency on
it. Or perhaps it is an optional dependency?

Which one of these situations we have on hands?

[1] https://creadur.apache.org/rat/

Thanks,
  Cos

Re: [MENTORS] Release support

Posted by Bohdan Hliva <Bo...@epam.com.INVALID>.
Hello,

Can anyone help us with that?

BOHDAN HLIVA
Lead Software Engineer

Office: +380 322 424 642 x 42572   Cell: +380 63 151 2201   Email: bohdan_hliva@epam.com<ma...@epam.com>
Lviv, Ukraine   epam.com<http://epam.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER
This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and contains information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. All unintended recipients are obliged to delete this message and destroy any printed copies.

On Mar 4, 2019, at 10:43, Bohdan Hliva <Bo...@epam.com.INVALID>> wrote:

Hello,

Could you help us with that?

BR, Bohdan