Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/30 17:52:10 UTC

BadApple report. Seems like I'm wasting my time.

Is anybody paying the least attention to this or should I just stop bothering?

I'd hoped to get to a point where we could get at least semi-stable
and start whittling away at the backlog. But with an additional 63
tests to BadApple (a little fudging here because of some issues with
counting suite-level tests .vs. individual test) it doesn't seem like
we're going in the right direction at all.

Unless there's some value here, defined by people stepping up and at
least looking (and once a week is not asking too much) at the names of
the tests I'm going to BadApple to see if they ring any bells, I'll
stop wasting my time.

There are currently 100 BadApple tests. That number will increase by a
hefty percentage _this week alone_.

I suppose I'll just bet the latest example of tilting at this windmill.

Erick

**Annotated tests/suites that didn't fail in the last 4 weeks.

  **Annotations will be removed from the following tests because they
haven't failed in the last 4 rollups.

  **Methods: 12
   AddReplicaTest.test
   DeleteReplicaTest.deleteReplicaFromClusterState
   LeaderVoteWaitTimeoutTest.testMostInSyncReplicasCanWinElection
   MaxSizeAutoCommitTest
   OverseerRolesTest.testOverseerRole
   PeerSyncReplicationTest.test
   RecoveryZkTest.test
   RollingRestartTest.test
   TestCloudConsistency.testOutOfSyncReplicasCannotBecomeLeader
   TestCloudPivotFacet.test
   TestLargeCluster.testSearchRate
   TestPullReplicaErrorHandling.throws

  **Suites: 0

********Failures in Hoss' reports for the last 4 rollups.

All tests that failed 4 weeks running will be BadApple'd unless there
are objections

Failures in the last 4 reports..
   Report   Pct     runs    fails           test
     0123   0.9     1689     27      AutoAddReplicasIntegrationTest.testSimple
     0123   1.1     1698     36
CdcrBootstrapTest.testConvertClusterToCdcrAndBootstrap
     0123   0.9     1430     30      ChaosMonkeyNothingIsSafeTest(suite)
     0123   0.4     1453     16      ChaosMonkeyNothingIsSafeTest.test
     0123   0.4     1726     26      CloudSolrClientTest.preferLocalShardsTest
     0123   0.7     1726     64      CloudSolrClientTest.preferReplicaTypesTest
     0123   1.9     1682     34
CollectionsAPIAsyncDistributedZkTest.testAsyncIdRaceCondition
     0123   0.9     1676     14
CollectionsAPIDistributedZkTest.testCollectionsAPI
     0123   1.1     1717     13      ComputePlanActionTest.testNodeLost
     0123   0.2     1721     13
ComputePlanActionTest.testNodeWithMultipleReplicasLost
     0123   0.4     1684     30      DistributedMLTComponentTest.test
     0123   0.4     1707      9      DocValuesNotIndexedTest.testGroupingDVOnly
     0123   0.4     1642      9      FullSolrCloudDistribCmdsTest.test
     0123   0.9     1663     49      GraphExpressionTest(suite)
     0123   0.4     1693     21      GraphExpressionTest.testShortestPathStream
     0123   1.8     1660     41      GraphTest(suite)
     0123   0.9     1686     20      GraphTest.testShortestPathStream
     0123  72.7       88     70      HdfsChaosMonkeySafeLeaderTest(suite)
     0123   1.3     1622     32      HttpSolrCallGetCoreTest(suite)
     0123  16.6     1992    223      InfixSuggestersTest.testShutdownDuringBuild
     0123   0.4     1661     12      LargeVolumeJettyTest(suite)
     0123   0.4     1685     12      LargeVolumeJettyTest.testMultiThreaded
     0123   0.9     1661      9
LeaderElectionIntegrationTest.testSimpleSliceLeaderElection
     0123   3.2     1695     55
MetricTriggerIntegrationTest.testMetricTrigger
     0123   3.9     1624     84      MoveReplicaHDFSTest.testFailedMove
     0123   4.2     1716     71
ScheduledTriggerIntegrationTest.testScheduledTrigger
     0123   2.2     1626     37      SchemaApiFailureTest(suite)
     0123  38.1      422    164      ShardSplitTest.test
     0123   9.2      329     26      ShardSplitTest.testSplitMixedReplicaTypes
     0123   0.7     1701     24      SolrCloudReportersTest.testDefaultPlugins
     0123   0.9     1701     36
SolrCloudReportersTest.testExplicitConfiguration
     0123   1.9     1683     25      SolrJmxReporterCloudTest.testJmxReporter
     0123  11.8      568     12      StreamDecoratorTest.testClassifyStream
     0123  10.5     1133     60      StreamDecoratorTest.testExecutorStream
     0123   2.6     1133     16
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelComplementStream
     0123   5.3     1134     15
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelDaemonCommitStream
     0123  10.5     1134     66
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelExecutorStream
     0123   7.9     1133     24      StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelFetchStream
     0123   7.9     1133     39
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelHavingStream
     0123   7.9     1133     25      StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelMergeStream
     0123  17.6      568     24
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelPriorityStream
     0123   5.3     1133     19
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelReducerStream
     0123   2.6     1131     10
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelUniqueStream
     0123   2.6     1133     13
StreamDecoratorTest.testParallelUpdateStream
     0123   1.1      880     22
StreamExpressionTest.testParallelTopicStream
     0123  11.8      129     10      StressHdfsTest(suite)
     0123   0.2     1644      4
TestCloudConsistency.testOutOfSyncReplicasCannotBecomeLeaderAfterRestart
     0123   0.7     1533      6
TestDelegationWithHadoopAuth.testDelegationTokenRenew
     0123   0.4     1666     29      TestDistribIDF.testMultiCollectionQuery
     0123   1.5     1474     18      TestDistributedSearch.test
     0123   8.3      130     11
TestGenericDistributedQueue.testDistributedQueue
     0123   0.5     1249     41      TestHdfsCloudBackupRestore.test
     0123   2.5     1433     25      TestHdfsUpdateLog(suite)
     0123   3.9     1681     40      TestInPlaceUpdatesDistrib.test
     0123   1.8     1660     23      TestLTROnSolrCloud(suite)
     0123   0.9     1679     12      TestLTROnSolrCloud.testSimpleQuery
     0123   1.1     1639     58      TestLocalFSCloudBackupRestore.test
     0123  20.3     1963    394
TestMiniSolrCloudClusterSSL.testSslWithCheckPeerName
     0123   7.5     1635    103      TestSQLHandler(suite)
     0123   7.5     1751    109      TestSQLHandler.doTest
     0123   0.2     1648      8      TestTlogReplica(suite)
     0123   8.3      178     85      TestTlogReplica.testCreateDelete
     0123  12.3      868    102
TestTriggerIntegration.testNodeLostTriggerRestoreState

Re: BadApple report. Seems like I'm wasting my time.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Steve:

Ok, InfixSuggestersTest.testShutdownDuringBuild is in my "Do not annotate" list.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I still think it’s a mistake to try and use all the Jenkins results to
drive ignoring tests. It needs to be an objective measure in a good env.

We also should not be ignoring tests in mass.l without individual
consideration. Critical test coverage should be treated differently than
any random test, especially when stability is sometimes simple to achieve
for that test.

A decade+ of history says it’s unlikely you get much consistent help
digging out of a huge test ignore hell.

Beasting in a known good environment and a few very interested parties is
the only path out of this if you ask me. We need to get clean in a known
good env and then automate beasting defense, using Jenkins to find issues
in other environments.

Unfortunately, not something I can help out with in the short term anymore.

Mark

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

Re: BadApple report. Seems like I'm wasting my time.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Alexandre:

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Shawn:

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
I was thinking of the challenge with sporadic/random failures the other day
and what would help.  I think more and smarter notifications of failures
could help a lot.

(A) Using Git history, a Jenkins plugin could send an email to anyone who
touched the failing test in the last 4 weeks.  If that list is empty then
choose the most recent person.  This notification does not go to the dev
list.  Rationale: People who most recently maintained the test in some way
are likely to want to help keep it passing.

(B) (At fucit.com?) if a test has not failed in the 4 weeks prior, then
notify the dev list with an email about just this test (in subject).  If
"many" tests fail in a build, then those failures don't count for this
tracking.  Rationale:  Any active developer ought to take notice as this
may be caused by one of their commits.  Note: if "many" tests fail in a
build, then it's likely a reproducible recently-committed change with a
wide blast radius that is going to be fixed soon and which will already be
reported by standard Jenkins notifications.

These are just some ideas.  I looked for a Jenkins plugin that did (A) but
found none.  It seems most build setups including ours aren't oriented
around longitudinal tracking of individual tests, and are instead just
overall pass/fail tracking of the entire suite.  Hoss (& Mark?) have helped
track tests longitudinally but it's a separate system that one must
manually look at; it's not integrated with Jenkins nor with notifications.

~ David

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,