Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/30 10:11:03 UTC

Publishing GPL’ed files on Apache web servers

Hi folks,

I need to put GPL'ed files to my home page on Apache web server (i.e.
publish them). The guide [1] for committers is encouraging –
"…committers should know how to behave! …" But I have to admit that
I'm not 100% sure - IANAL and legal issues often puzzle me so I want
to test it here.

As I understand the policy [2] – it is targeted to Apache products.
That IMO doesn't apply to my case – i.e. the files are not included to
any Apache product that is released to the end users.  So From my POV
it is OK to put them to my home page.

Details:
In Harmony project we use JAPI tool [3] to measure API completeness.
The tool is licensed under GPLv2. To track the progress it would be
nice to have regular (i.e. for each snapshot) API completeness
reports.
Stuart Ballard of the Kaffe project is generously creating coverage
comparisons but they are not regular and include endorsed packages [4]
that we want to exclude from the report. So we'd like to take control
over the process. The tool compares RI's and Harmony's binaries and
generates html reports. The generated html files have no license
header so I assume that they are not GPL'ed. But hhe html files
produced depend on the japi.css file that comes with the tool (i.e. it
is GPL'ed). So the to get attractive presentation we need to take it
too. As I wrote about from my POV it is OK to copy&publish.

Am I missing something?

[1] http://apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html#public_html
[2] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html
[3] http://sab39.netreach.com/Software/Japitools/42/
[4] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/standards/index.html

Thanks for reading all this,
Stepan Mishura.

Re: Publishing GPL’ed files on Apache web servers

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Jan 30, 2008 5:43 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 17:11, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> > As I understand the policy [2] – it is targeted to Apache products.
> > That IMO doesn't apply to my case – i.e. the files are not included to
> > any Apache product that is released to the end users.  So From my POV
> > it is OK to put them to my home page.
>
> AFAIK, there is not much policy around the provided home page spaces, other
> than that we are expected not to bloat the storage. That doesn't mean we can
> do whatever we like within the limits of law.
> And I am sure that your post will trigger a small debate on what the policy
> should be.
>
> *Personally*, I think it would be Ok (provided that the reports generated are
> relatively small and garbage collected somehow)...
>
> As a comparison, Gump uses/used Kaffe to build and/or test the entire ASF
> codebase nightly, to help accelarate choices in JDKs/JVMs. It sounds fairly
> similar to me.

Not only is it similar to that, it is similar to somebody using EMACS
to edit a text file.

The *only* *potential* sticking point is that one CSS file, and as has
been stated, it is a policy issue not a legal issue.

One CSS file used to style a report published on a home page host by
the ASF is not something that would concern me.  If it were to be
included in a product, or if the home page were to effectively be
positioned as a distribution vehicle, then it would.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Publishing GPL’ed files on Apache web servers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 30 January 2008 17:11, Stepan Mishura wrote:
> As I understand the policy [2] – it is targeted to Apache products.
> That IMO doesn't apply to my case – i.e. the files are not included to
> any Apache product that is released to the end users.  So From my POV
> it is OK to put them to my home page.

AFAIK, there is not much policy around the provided home page spaces, other
than that we are expected not to bloat the storage. That doesn't mean we can
do whatever we like within the limits of law.
And I am sure that your post will trigger a small debate on what the policy
should be.

*Personally*, I think it would be Ok (provided that the reports generated are
relatively small and garbage collected somehow)...

As a comparison, Gump uses/used Kaffe to build and/or test the entire ASF
codebase nightly, to help accelarate choices in JDKs/JVMs. It sounds fairly
similar to me.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer