Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org> on 2015/02/09 15:37:10 UTC

Groups in Rave

Hi everyone,

I'm currently exploring user groups in Rave and I was wondering if someone
could shed some light on the current state.

It looks as if groups have been modeled[1] and there are repository[2] and
service[3] implementations for groups that exist today.  However, I don't
see that groups are surfaced in the UI nor in the page permissions.  Is
anyone actively using groups?

I'm also wondering about group members.  The Group interface has a getter
and setter for members which is a List<String>.  Are the strings user ids,
other group ids, both or something else altogether?

Thanks,
-Stanton

[1] org.apache.rave.model.Group and
org.apache.rave.portal.model.impl.GroupImpl
[2] org.apache.rave.repository.GroupRepository
[3] org.apache.rave.service.GroupService

Re: Groups in Rave

Posted by Christopher Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.

> On Feb 9, 2015, at 7:51 AM, Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the quick reply Chris.  I saw an earlier e-mail where you had
> mentioned leveraging Apache Shiro to implement permission groups.  Is that
> what you're referring to here as well?  Do you see this as complementing
> the way in which spring security is being used with the
> ModelPermissionEvaluator or is it a replacement?

I’d see it as a replacement personally. Honestly, once we remove all the front end stuff from the back end (JSPs and other stuff) spring security loses it’s luster (my opinion). I suppose we could integrate it into the web services, but it’s not there today and I think Shiro provides a lot more flexibility than Spring Security but I admit I’m not a Spring Security expert either.

Re: Groups in Rave

Posted by Stanton Sievers <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: Groups in Rave

Posted by Christopher Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.