Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Larry Nedry <sp...@bluestreak.net> on 2007/04/04 02:58:23 UTC

Mass-Check Hangs

Hi All,

I'm trying to use mass-check to test the accuracy of a plugin that I'm
developing.  If I run mass-check without the -j option (single process) it
takes a few hours for it to finish a corpus of about 60,000 emails.  If I
use the --net option it could a day or two to complete.  Of course if I run
it with the -j option it is much faster but almost always mass-check will
hang at a seemingly random place.  I've seen it hang at less than 5%
complete and a few times it got as far as 98% complete.  And it doesn't
matter if -j=2 or -j=48, it still hangs.

Once it hangs I can let it sit for hours without seeing any network, disk
or CPU activity.  I still have plenty of free memory so swapping is not the
issue.

Are others running into this problem?  Is this a bug in mass-check?  Is
there a newer (fixed) version that will work with SA 3.1.18?  Or am I
missing something important?

My setup:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 3.0 Ghz
    Fedora Core 4 or Mac OS X 10.4.8 (same results)
    5 GB RAM
    SpamAssassin 3.1.18

Directory layout:
    SA3.1.18/rules/
    SA3.1.18/masses/
    SA3.1.18/masses/ham/	(corpora)
    SA3.1.18/masses/spam/	(corpora)

My Command line:
# ./mass-check --progress --noisy -c=../rules spam:mbox:./spam ham:mbox:./ham

I've seen the same problem running under both Fedora Code 4 and Mac OS X
10.4.8.

I'm currently using just the default rules that are in the ../rules folder.

What is the purpose of the mass_prefs file?
Am I supposed to edit the mass-check.cf file?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Larry

Re: Mass-Check Hangs

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
There is a bug in the 3.1 ArchiveIterator code that causes things to
hang on msgs that are too large or too small.  This got fixed in the 3.2
code, probably needs to be back ported.  Feel free to open up a bug.

Thanks
Michael