Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sujatha Arun <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/19 17:43:05 UTC

solr autocomplete requirement

Hi,

Our requirement for auto complete is slightly complicated , We need two
types of auto complete

1. Meta data Auto complete
2. Full text Content Auto complete

In addition the metadata fields are multi-valued & we need to filter the
results for certain auto-complete both types

After trying different approaches like

1)Suggester  -We cannot filter results
2)Terms Comp - We cannot filter
3)Facets on Full text Content with Tokenized fields - Expensive
4)Same core with n-gram Indexing and storing the results and using the
highlight component to fetch the snippet for autosuggest.

The last approach  which we are leaning towards has 2 draw backs -

One- it returns duplicates data as ,some meta data is the same across
documents
Two- words are getting truncated at character when results are returned
with highlight

Mitigation for the above 2 issue could be :  Remove duplicates after
 obtaining results at Application (issue could be additional time for this)
                                                               Use fast
vector highlight that can help with full word snippets (could be heavy on
the Index Size)

Anybody body has any suggestion / had similar requirements with successful
implementation?

Other question ,what would be impact of serving the suggestions out of the
same core as the one we are searching while using highlight component for
fetching snippets.

For our full text search requirements ,we are doing the highlight outside
solr, in our application and we would be storing and using the highlight ,
only for suggestion.

Thanks
Sujatha

Re: solr autocomplete requirement