Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca> on 2005/02/01 16:39:43 UTC

Re: Use of Subversion name/logo.

kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>CollabNet recently got an inquiry from someone regarding the use of
>the Subversion name and logo.  Below is the response we sent.  We'd
>like to run it by the dev@ list, in case anyone has comments.
>
>Now, before a million "I am not a lawyer, but..." reactions come in:
>
>Yes, we know about trademark law :-).  The real issue here is not
>trademarks, but rather the bad publicity that would accrue to someone
>who misused the name or logo, because the community would jump all
>over them.  So we tried to clarify to this fellow what is and isn't
>community-accepted behavior w.r.t. the name and logo.
>
>In other words, I'm not posting here to ask a legal question, but a
>social one: Do people think our response expressed the appropriate
>sentiment?

Yes, it did express an appropriate sentiment.  One small thing though.
What if they distribute a modified version of Subversion but also choose
to actively link to the Tigris site?  Could they say something like
"Built on top of <link>" where the link is a Subversion logo?  Or
imagine some verbage that makes it clear that the Subversion development
community is separate from them.

Or should they only use non-image links to Tigris if they develop a
modified Subversion?

Cheers...
Bruce

Re: Use of Subversion name/logo.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca> writes:
> Yes, it did express an appropriate sentiment.  One small thing though.
> What if they distribute a modified version of Subversion but also
> choose to actively link to the Tigris site?  Could they say something
> like "Built on top of <link>" where the link is a Subversion logo?  Or
> imagine some verbage that makes it clear that the Subversion
> development community is separate from them.
>
> Or should they only use non-image links to Tigris if they develop a
> modified Subversion?

I think clarity and lack of confusion are the right guidelines.  One
would have to look at the web page to be sure, but yes, in principle
it's fine for some to use the logo/name as long as it's clearly
associated with something that actually *is* Subversion, not with some
other thing.