Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org> on 2018/04/10 02:14:46 UTC

[VOTE] Release of Apache Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC3]

Hi all,
    The Apache Griffin community has voted on and approved a proposal to
release Apache Griffin 0.2.0-rc3.
    We now kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on
this incubator release candidate.

    Apache Griffin is data quality service for modern data system, it
defines a standard process to define, measure data quality for well-known
dimensions. With Apache Griffin, users will be able to quickly define their
data quality requirements and then get the result in near real time in
systematical approach.

    Griffin vote thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c9c9dd2cbea2d479625cd2a2c8234541022c60f35f423ceb150d7ecb@%3Cdev.griffin.apache.org%3E
    Griffin vote result thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bc1b2a436119d91c4cf1175a80d6fd4e4b084749c9e6e259817144be@%3Cdev.griffin.apache.org%3E

    The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/griffin/0.2.0-incubating

    The tag to be voted upon is 0.2.0-incubating:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-griffin.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/griffin-0.2.0-incubating

    The release hash is :

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-griffin.git;a=commit;h=70419c4f4ec01dd70815d9480ab596b320fa5e2a

    The Nexus Staging URL:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachegriffin-1013

    7F00C3BA90F3ECAEECB843A79BD6EC6C02379561

    KEYS file available:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/griffin/KEYS

    For information about the contents of this release, see:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/griffin/0.2.0-incubating/CHANGES.txt

    Please download the release candidate and evaluate the necessary items
including checking hashes, signatures, build from source, run and test.
    Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Griffin 0.2.0-incubating
    The vote will be open for 72 hours.
    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Griffin 0.2.0-incubating
    [ ] +0 no opinion

Lionel
on behalf of Apache Griffin PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC3]

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
hi guys,

We need your help to verify our release,

Could you please spend some time to vote for us if you are free at the
moment.

Thanks,
William

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
hi guys,

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
* Signatures ok

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

For those GPL+CDDL dependencies, we are not packaging them in source
release.

Thanks,
William

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your inputs.

ok, we will go through and check our license.

Thanks,
William

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I reviewed this JSON license we've mentioned in license file: (The JSON License) JSON in Java (org.json:json:20140107 - https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-java <https://github.com/douglascrockford/JSON-java>)
> It is transitive dependency from org.apache.hive:hive-metastore:jar:1.2.1 (The Apache Software License, Version 2.0), we use hive metastore APIs and mentioned in pom.xml, but did not use org.json libraries directly. And it is bundled after built in runtime.
> - I also checked license file of hive, it announced JSON license for org.json library. (https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/release-1.2.1/LICENSE#L308 <https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/release-1.2.1/LICENSE#L308>)

JSON license was made a category X license a year or two ago. [1] [2] ALv2 content depends on something with a category X license unless it’s optional or for some build tools. [3] PMC’s were given some time to comply with this and perhaps a more recent version of Hive does?

> For those CDDL and EPL licenses dependencies, we also just need them in runtime.

And being category B that would be fine but they shouldn’t be mentioned in the source license. [4] The license file for the source release and the binary is likely to be different.

> The dependencies are not bundled in the source code, so we don't need to announce any dependencies' licenses in source release?

Correct.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/195d6e14bbcfcbb8d0a90492a81b311efaa5d6d15bc81b239a32dcb7@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited
4. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC3]

Posted by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin and Matt, then we'll clean up the unbundled dependencies'
licenses for our source release.

Thanks,
Lionel

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 07:39, William Guo <gu...@apache.org> wrote:

> that means if we cannot have category X dependencies in our source release,
> but for category B, since we don't bundled in our source release, so it is
> fine.

That’s correct.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC3]

Posted by William Guo <gu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matt,

I just have different idea about your your explanation.

If my code has the compile dependency of the JSON library,  as the JSON
library code is not bundled in the source code.
I don't think we should add the License of JSON library into my License
file.

If we use the LGPL license jar library in the test.
As this LGPL jar is not bundled in our source or binary release. we don't
need to update our License and Notice file for it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about it.

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lionel Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks a lot for your review, I have some questions:

1. The source LICENSE mentions:
[...]

Actually, in the Griffin-0.2.0-incubating [RC1] release vote process, we've
receive an email from John D. Ament:
-----
On mine I get 3 files failing

Unapproved licenses:

  DEPENDENCIES
  griffin-doc/service/postman/griffin.json
  griffin-doc/service/postman/griffin_environment.json

Doing what I assume is the same thing as Matt (mvn apache-rat:check from
the source release folder) . In addition to what he's noted, the year in
your NOTICE file should be updated to 2018.  The resulting output files
need a little bit of work:

- measure's JAR shows the notice for Avro.  It also packs in additional
dependencies that are not apache licensed (they're all Cat B so they're
fine).  In the next release, please create dedicated NOTICE and LICENSE
files for this JAR.
- Similar issues exist in the service JAR, where the spring boot JAR
includes many other dependencies, some of which carry their own NOTICE
(Jackson, Tomcat) or other licenses.  What's harder is that you're using
Hibernate, which is an LGPL Cat-X dependency and cannot be included in the
JAR.  This is going to have to come out.
- The resulting output from your UI build should have licenses in place for
font awesome, glyphicons.  I'm not sure whats in your vendor.min.js but
based on your node_modules you may need to call out additional
license/notice contents.

Sorry, but -1.
-----

In the comments, we also did not bundle any dependencies in source code,
they are just bundled after built.
It seems like we should announce the licenses of dependencies in built
jars, even if we only released the source code package.

*Now I'm confused about this, would you give me some suggestions? *

Thanks,
Lionel

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Please see https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html <https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html>