Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephen Cook <sc...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/14 12:56:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Starting Apache2 on Win2k as another user

I am trying to get Apache2 (v2.0.54) to run as a service on Windows 2000
as a specific user ("apacheuser", original name huh?), which only has
rights to read and execute on Apache2 root directory, and full access to
the logs directory.

When I start the service as local user (when I am logged in as admin) it
works fine, but when I change the service to log on as "apacheuser" it
doesn't start. There is a message in the Event Viewer that says "The
Apache2 service terminated with service-specific error 1." and another
message that says "The Apache service named  reported the following
error: Apache.exe: could not open document config file
bin/conf/httpd.conf     . "

This is from the standard Windows Installer install for version 2.0.54,
I have no idea why it would look for the configuration file in
"bin/conf/" instead of just "conf/" (and copying the conf directory into
bin doesn't help at all, so I wonder if that is the real problem).

Doesn anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  Is there some other
information you'd need?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-- Stephen

Re: [users@httpd] Starting Apache2 on Win2k as another user

Posted by Stephen Cook <sc...@gmail.com>.
I fixed my problem as stated in the last email, but now I've narrowed it
down, and thought I'd post it for the archives.

The user that apache2 runs as needs the following permissions on Windows
2000 (keep in mind they are inheritable to the subdirectories):

* "List Folder Contents" on the root directory of the drive itself (in
my case "E:\"

* "Read and Execute" and "Read" on the bin\ directory in the apache root
("E:\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\")

* "Read" on the conf\ directory in apache root ("E:\Apache
Group\Apache2\conf\")

* "Read" and "Write" to the logs\ directory in the apache root
("E:\Apache Group\Apache2\logs\")

* "Read" and "Rean and Execute" on the modules\ directory in the apache
root ("E:\Apache Group\Apache2\modules\")

I'm willing to bet it'd need "Read" and "Read and Execute" for the
cgi-bin\ directory if you use that, and "Read" on the manual\, errors\,
icons\, and htdocs\ directories if you use those.

Of course, if I am blatantly wrong about any of this please correct the
information, I'm trying to help anyone else who needs it but obviously I
am no guru.

Posted by Tony Karakashian <tk...@gmail.com>.
Did you apply the "Log on as a service" right to apacheuser?

-T

Re: [users@httpd] Starting Apache2 on Win2k as another user

Posted by DaedalWorks <Da...@comcast.net>.