Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net> on 2006/09/21 19:13:50 UTC

Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

I'm a bit stumped here. I've been scouring documentation, articles,
commentaries and the like for two days, so now I'm going to pester you
fine folks. :-)

I am generating a wsdl at build time and inserting into the WEB-INF
directory in my .aar file like so:

    $ jar -tf services/pbqs.aar  | grep wsdl
    META-INF/PBQS.wsdl

(On a side-note, isn't there an 'axis2-java2wsdl' Ant target? I
couldn't find one.)

But when I issue the "?wsdl" command against my service (running under
Tomcat, in case it matters), the WSDL I get back is most definitely
*not* the one I had generated. Any ideas on why this might be? This
worked fine under Axis1.x, but I cannot for the life of me get it to
work under Axis2.

In case you're inclined to respond with "Just use the
automagically-generated WSDL", well, I'd rather not at this point. For
reasons I'd rather not go into, having a WSDL that describes the
service *as it was built* would be beneficial to me (and the
developers at my company who may need to deploy an older version of
the service for some reason).

I'd also much prefer to *not* go from WSDL->Java--starting with Java and
generating a WSDL is far less tedious.

-dan

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.
On 9/21/06, robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With a nightly or recent build try:

Is the omission of log4j in the nightly build intentional?

$ jar -tf axis2.war.release | grep log4
WEB-INF/lib/log4j-1.2.13.jar
WEB-INF/lib/log4j-LICENSE.txt
WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

$ jar -tf axis2.war.nightly | grep log4

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL (from axis-user)

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 03:26 +1200, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
>
>> D.Kreft wrote:
>>
>>> It seems *really* counter-intutive to have to supply a configuration
>>> setting to use a file that one intentionally puts in his .aar so that
>>> Axis can use it. It was my understanding after reading the
>>> documentation that a WSDL file in the META-INF directory was supposed
>>> to inhibit the dynamic generation of a WSDL. Would it not be more
>>> reasonable to use this as the default behavior and then provide an
>>> option to *ignore* the supplied WSDL for those special cases when one
>>> would want to do that?
>>>
>> This makes sense to me. Anyone have an argument for why a supplied WSDL
>> should be ignored by default?
>>

> Only problem is how to make policy etc. work with that .. also what
> about the binding? We always have to replace the binding; unless you
> want to assume the user put that info correctly too ..

I'd say that if the user supplies the WSDL we should serve it up
untouched. They can edit the binding information ahead of time to make
it correct.

  - Dennis

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL (from axis-user)

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 03:26 +1200, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> D.Kreft wrote:
> > It seems *really* counter-intutive to have to supply a configuration
> > setting to use a file that one intentionally puts in his .aar so that
> > Axis can use it. It was my understanding after reading the
> > documentation that a WSDL file in the META-INF directory was supposed
> > to inhibit the dynamic generation of a WSDL. Would it not be more
> > reasonable to use this as the default behavior and then provide an
> > option to *ignore* the supplied WSDL for those special cases when one
> > would want to do that?
> This makes sense to me. Anyone have an argument for why a supplied WSDL
> should be ignored by default?

Only problem is how to make policy etc. work with that .. also what
about the binding? We always have to replace the binding; unless you
want to assume the user put that info correctly too ..

Sanjiva.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL (from axis-user)

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.
Wait a second...

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
services.xml

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.
The nightly build has a Java2WSDL.sh, which will get me there, I'm
sure...but is there documentation on how to use it (i.e. the arguments
it takes)? There's no javadoc in the nightly docs snapshot for
org.apache.ws.java2wsdl.Java2WSDL.

Or am I relegated to source diving?

-dan

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
java2wsdl is what you are after I believe . Its a bat / sh file under
the bin dir.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.

Re: Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,
Even though this discussion took off in the user list it seems more
relevant to the dev list (so I'm forwarding it to the dev list). BTW
it would be good if one of you can open a Jira so that this won't be
just forgotton :)

Ajith

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
*PLEASE* create a jira issue, stating the behaviour you wish.

-- dims

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,
Even though this discussion took off in the user list it seems more
relevant to the dev list (so I'm forwarding it to the dev list). BTW
it would be good if one of you can open a Jira so that this won't be
just forgotton :)

Ajith

On 9/22/06, Bhatra, Junaid <jb...@rsasecurity.com> wrote:
> Going further on this, even if you do NOT use RPCMessageReceiver and
> supply your own WSDL, Axis2 **still** modifies/overrides your WSDL
> unless you specify the "useOriginalwsdl" parameter. The logic seems
> inverted to me. In contrast, the default behavior of Axis 1.x is to
> honor the user-specified WSDL.

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.
On 9/21/06, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> But..If the wsdl you provide (either its content or style) is hosed there is no way for the
> program to correct it
> However..
> If the program is *somehow* able to intuit from the services operations/methods and parameter(s) what
> the generated operation and the resulting request and response parameters should be
> *then* that feature should definitely be supported

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if you have a "bad"
.wsdl (whatever that might mean) in your .aar, then Axis should ignore
it and generate its own if it can before it pukes.

I can't see that being a good thing in my situation.

If I have a .wsdl in my .aar that I put there at build time, it means
that anyone who has a copy of my .aar has my wsdl and they are going
to be coding against it--at least they'd better if they hope to talk
to my service and get meaningful results! Now, if you implement this
automagical fall-back (which is what you're proposing), then the
contract that I have built into my deployed package--the one I'm
telling people they *need* to code against--is not going to match what
happens in production. So, when a developer codes against a "broken"
built WSDL, he's going to be in for a very rude awakening when he
finally deploys his client(s)--the contract that I advertised does not
reflect reality. At best, it'll just plain bork...but at worst, it may
introduce a very subtle, hard-to-track bug. In my experience, it's
better to fail in an obvious manner if you cannot guarantee completely
safe fallback.

-dan

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Evening All-
I'm finding org.apache.axis2.engine.Service class doesnt exist in my distro's is this a new class?
I do however see  org.apache.axis2.Service class from core.jar-
thanks,
M-

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
If you are using RPCMessageReceiver it doesn't make sense to use your
own WSDL . This is a FAQ:

http://www.wso2.net/kb/104

The jist of it is that via databinding with xmlbeans, adb, jibx etc
you will have your own wsdl. With RPC you are not using your own wsdl
and axis2 will generate one for you.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL

Posted by "D.Kreft" <da...@kreft.net>.

Re: Axis2 is ignoring my WSDL