Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/10/17 21:53:20 UTC

Integration testing - we need some :-)

In cutting M2 the lack of integration testing has been quite painful.
We need to start adding the post-build functional/integration testing
we've talked about before but which we've not actually implemented.

I'm going to start work on some projects in the sandbox to try and
automate integration testing in a way that lends itself to execution
using something like Continuum. I see the goals as being:
* simple to maintain
* simple to run
* quick to run
* able to be broken down into sub-suites that can run in different
environments

I welcome anyone interested joining in.
--
Jeremy

Re: Integration testing - we need some :-)

Posted by Brent Daniel <br...@gmail.com>.
I can take a look at doing some of this, perhaps starting with getting
a simple sca application automated and going from there.

Any direction from the list on specific areas that need integration
test coverage would be helpful.

Brent

Posted by Brent Daniel <br...@gmail.com>.
Where should these tests live in the tree? I have some simple property
related tests using the itest plugin in my sandbox (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/bdaniel/propertyTest
). I plan on building more on top of this, but would like to move them
to a more permanent location at some point.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Oct 18, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Bert Lamb wrote:

> I did a quick write up on how I set my server up here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/ContinuumForTuscany
>
> Hope this helps!

Thanks - I'll take a look and see if I can get it running on my
server later today.

Posted by Bert Lamb <al...@pobox.com>.
I did a quick write up on how I set my server up here:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/TuscanyJava/ContinuumForTuscany

Hope this helps!

-Bert

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Oct 18, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> By making the test classloader a child of the plugin's we are able
> to run the tests - at least the scenario I had below. That's not
> ideal as it makes the plugin's classes visible to the tests but at
> least we can make progress on writing cases.
I think that is acceptable.

> So, with that thought in mind, where should we start?
One thing I'd like to do is be able to verify bootstrap on various
hosts, basically that system scdl contributions define a complete/
valid runtime for a particular host. Another area I want to start
testing is specific invocation scenarios such as callback sequences.
One other area is interactions between various subsystems, such as
between bindings and component impl types.

Do you want to move the stuff out of sandbox so we can start?

Jim

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

I can help as well. I already have a simple mortage approval application in
my sandbox and I'll convert it to whatever integration test environment we
come out when it's ready.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bert Lamb <al...@pobox.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 10/17/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> In cutting M2 the lack of integration testing has been quite painful.
> We need to start adding the post-build functional/integration testing
> we've talked about before but which we've not actually implemented.
>
> I'm going to start work on some projects in the sandbox to try and
> automate integration testing in a way that lends itself to execution
> using something like Continuum. I see the goals as being:
> * simple to maintain
> * simple to run
> * quick to run
> * able to be broken down into sub-suites that can run in different
> environments
>
> I welcome anyone interested joining in.

+1, and I'd help. Probably we'll all end up needing to be some help wont we
to get tests done for things like each extension?

   ...ant

Re: Integration testing - we need some :-)

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Oct 17, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> In cutting M2 the lack of integration testing has been quite
> painful. We need to start adding the post-build functional/
> integration testing we've talked about before but which we've not
> actually implemented.
>
> I'm going to start work on some projects in the sandbox to try and
> automate integration testing in a way that lends itself to
> execution using something like Continuum. I see the goals as being:
> * simple to maintain
> * simple to run
> * quick to run
> * able to be broken down into sub-suites that can run in different
> environments
>
> I welcome anyone interested joining in.

I'm willing to help - let me know what needs to be done.