Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by shane mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us> on 2005/01/05 19:22:27 UTC

Somewhat OT postfix question

I tried searching the archives on the postfix.users groups and google,
but came up empty.  Here is our issue:  We have two spam servers.  A
primary and secondary postfix/sa box.  Our primary box writes every smtp
transaction to the screen.  Since it is a busy mail server, it is
virtually impossible to do anything on the box.  Our secondary box,
which is lightly used, does not do this.  I know this is a postfix
issue, but any help would be appreciated.

Shane

Re: Somewhat OT postfix question

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 01:22:27PM -0500, shane mullins wrote:

I've never seen postfix, but:

> primary and secondary postfix/sa box.  Our primary box writes every smtp
> transaction to the screen.  Since it is a busy mail server, it is
> virtually impossible to do anything on the box.  Our secondary box,
> which is lightly used, does not do this.  I know this is a postfix
> issue, but any help would be appreciated.

I bet it is a /etc/syslog.conf issue.

Rainer

Re: Somewhat OT postfix question

Posted by "Eric W. Bates" <er...@vineyard.net>.
We've used postfix for years and I have never seen it write to console.
  It does, of course, write messages to syslog. Is your syslog config
writing to console?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I made sure
> that amavis was set to write to the syslog, but that didn't help either.
> am pretty puzzled.  I usually ssh into the box, but I can go to the
console
> and choose another screen.

Did you restart amvis after making the logging change?

        Loren

Re: Somewhat OT postfix question

Posted by Shane Mullins <ts...@wise.k12.va.us>.
Thanks Aaron,

    I changed the /dev/console to /var/log/messages, but it didn't help.  I
was wrong, it was amavisd-new that was writing the messages.  I made sure
that amavis was set to write to the syslog, but that didn't help either.  I