Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Holger Bille <ho...@get2net.dk> on 2000/07/20 00:54:59 UTC

MINimum tomcat configuration

Newbie question:
I'm almost embarrassed to bring this up but I have failed utterly in finding
anything usefull in the FAQ and other ressources.

What is the minimum (stand alone) configuration of tomcat?
1. What files are needed? (jar, java, class, script...)
2. How exactly should they be organized?
3. PATH and CLASSPATH?
4. server.xml?
5. web.xml?
6. Other configuration files?

References to ressources on the net are welcome. I have tried the apache
ressources, but they didn't work for me.

I took what I thought was an out-of-the-box package (jakarta-tomcat.zip) but
it didn't work at all.
Here's my current server.xml:
<Server adminPort="-1" workDir="work">
 <ContextManager>
  <Context path="/" docBase="webpages">
   <!-- (1) HTTP Connector for stand-alone operation -->
   <Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector">
    <Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"/>
    <Parameter name="port" value="80"/>
   </Connector>
  </Context>
 </ContextManager>
</Server>

But when I start up tomcat it ends up saying:
Starting endpoint port="0"
handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"

I would expext 'port' to be "80" - and of course I can't connect to it!

Please forgive for posting this very fundamental issue - but I have wasted
WAY too much time on getting nowhere!

Thanx!

/HOLGER