Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/27 13:22:57 UTC

Re: Improved HiveDoc L&F

I've always hoped that HiveDoc would be generated using XSLT ...
there's a a point of diminishing returns with HiveDoc I think..  I
think this XSLT is much better than the old one, through there are a
number of things I've been having a hard time doing using XSL.  I miss
my components!

I had thought about doing a navigation bar down the left side that
would like the other categories in the module (congfiguration,
service, schema) and show an alphabetical listing of unqualified ids
within the same module and category.

A lot of the useful information is in the contributions and
parameterss to services ... and that data ends up as pretty raw XML.
It would be awesome if we could tag some of that as being references
to services and configurations and cross link them ... but that
requires understanding translators, so its beyond what XSL is capable
of.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:30:45 +0100, Knut Wannheden
<kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard,
>
> That looks really cool now! Although the XSL looks dreadful... :-)
>
> First some simple things which are missing (even with the old l&f):
>
>  - Schema descriptions
>  - Descriptions for configuration points which declare contributions
> schema locally (compare ApplicationDefaults with EagerLoad for
> example)
>
> Here are quite a few thoughts (in a rough priority order) which I'd
> like to know if others agree with:
>
>  - Single click access to modules, services, configuration points, and
> schemas from any page. I suppose a frame based approach like with
> Javadoc (and now also Spring) wouldn't be too bad. Optionally we could
> also try to reduce the number of pages (e.g. a services page per
> module).
>  - Streamline by using yet smaller fonts in some places. I guess this
> is really just a matter of editing the CSS...
>  - Option to not generate details like: module private declarations,
> element conversion rules, service implementation.
>  - Include first sentence of description of services, etc. on module
> overview page.
>  - I really like the generated graphs in the Spring documentation.
> Maybe we could look into generating something similar.
>
> I'd be willing to implement some of these changes. It will just take
> me some time to understand the XSL. Would it make sense to implement
> the HiveDoc generator as a Java application?
>
> --knut
>
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:13:54 -0500, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've just done some big rework of HiveDoc making it more readable and
> > presentable. I'm open to comments on anything else people might like
> > to see (within reason).
> >
> > Check it out:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/hivemind/hivedocs/index.html
> >
> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> > Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind