Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Erlend Hamnaberg <ng...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/04 13:03:29 UTC

maven 3 inheritance

Hi.

I am testing out maven 3 on our project.
I heard from Jason's presentation on JavaZone that you are supposed to be
able to have versionless parent elements.
Trying to build the attached project, makes it fail.

In maven 2 we could inherit properties, this doesn't seem to work anymore.

Can someone please take a look at the attached project, and tell me what I'm
doing wrong?

Best Regards

Erlend

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Using properties to specify dependency versions (for dependencies external
to the reactor) works fine with maven 3.0-alpha-5.

I cannot comment on using ${project.version} as it's bad practice (AFAIK,
although the release plugin has some code to "make" it work, IIRC the code
takes longer to run a build) so none of my projects use that

Also what is your issue with the release plugin... it's quite flexible and
should cover most cases (providing you tweak the release profile)... and if
your versioning scheme does not work with the release plugin, then EITHER
your scheme is a pile of sh1t and will lead you in to problems when used
with Maven OR we need to know about your wonderful near perfect scheme and
add support to the release plugin.

;-)

-Stephen

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Erlend Hamnaberg <ng...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Frederic Camblor <fc...@gmail.com>.
+1 with Stephen

We faced the problem with release plugin and, since then, are "hard coding"
version in the artefacts.

Frederic

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
And by the way, using variables for specifying dependencies versions
perfectly work out of the box with maven2.

For example, we have a whole project hierarchy of 20+ modules that all have
the same version. Each module always references the parent version since it
must be there. But it doesn't have its own <version> tag, or even <groupId>.
And referencing between modules is then just done by the standard variable
${project.version}.

FWIW.
Cheers.

2009/12/9 Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>

> Dana, just to clarify, he was asking about variables in dependencies.
> I don't think the parent is considered a <dependency> in the technical
> sense that Maven uses.
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Lacoste, Dana (TSG Software San Diego)
> <da...@hp.com> wrote:
> > No, with maven 2 you cannot have a variable in the parent version.  The
> string will be interpreted literally without dereferencing the variable
> name.
> >
> > Similarly, you can't have an empty version number: the parent MUST have a
> defined version number and it MUST be absolute and not contain any
> variables.
> >
> > variables work fine in any other version number, however.  ranges, on the
> other hand, do not ;)
> >
> > Dana Lacoste

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

RE: maven 3 inheritance

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Erlend,

> is it then possible to use variables for dependency versions?

Yes. This is supported today in Maven 2.

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Erlend Hamnaberg <ng...@gmail.com>.
ok, thanks.

is it then possible to use variables for dependency versions and parent
versions?
The maven integration in IDEA and eclipse complains about this,  and I'm
guessing that both of these use maven3 as the baseline.
This sort of works in maven2 (with modifications of install and deploy
plugins). I was hoping that this would work out of the box in maven 3.

-- Erlend

Re: maven 3 inheritance

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: maven 3 inheritance