Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by magnum87 <fp...@sword-group.com> on 2013/10/08 10:44:33 UTC

SolrCloud+Tomcat 3 win VMs, 3 shards * 2 replica

Hello,
I'm trying to deploy, using SolRCloud, a cluster of 3 VMs with Windows, each
with an instance of SolR running on a Tomcat container AND with an external
ZooKeeper (3.4.5) (so 3 ZK + 3 SolR). I'm using SolR 4.2, the original conf
is multi-core (6 different cores)

I tried to set up a configuration of 3 shards each with 2 replica (1
original + 1), so that:
* VM1 --> shards 1,2
* VM2 --> shards 2,3
* VM3 --> shards 1,3

After days of googling, reading documentation (in particular  here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Setting+Up+an+External+ZooKeeper+Ensemble>
,  here
<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud#Example_C:_Two_shard_cluster_with_shard_replicas_and_zookeeper_ensemble>
and  here <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloudTomcat>  ) and browsing
forums, I can't still find the solution.
Apparently the only way to force 2 shards on the same machine is to use
Collection API (otherwise I could only deploy 3 shards * 1 replica,using
numShards or 1 shard * 3 replica).

After several attempts (almost all combinations of adding/removing
bootstrap_conf=true, solr.xml persistent true/false, removing/leaving 'core'
tags in solr.xml, using DELETE/RELOAD/CREATE on collections) I managed to
deploy this configuration using boostrap_conf=true, DELETing and CREATing on
each collection, but when I stop SolR service and then start it again, it
does not work (adding/removing boostrap_conf etc.).
I think this quite a standard use case, is there a simple solution avoiding
very ugly workarounds like deploying 2 tomcats or more than 1 SolR on
tomcat?

Thank you very much

Re: SolrCloud+Tomcat ; 3 windows VMs, 3 shards * 2 replica

Posted by magnum87 <fp...@sword-group.com>.
for further informations, when I delete and recreate Collections with
collection API, my SolR HOME changes (instead of having directories core1,
core2, core3... I have core1_shard1_replica1, core1_shard3_replica2)...

This happens with or without the 'persistent' on solr.xml. If persistent is
TRUE, new core names are reflected in solr.xml