Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/12 19:52:39 UTC

Tapestry 5.0 Final Release - 5.0.18

Apache Tapestry 5.0 final release (5.0.18)

After nearly three years of development, the final release of Apache
Tapestry 5.0 is now available for download.

Apache Tapestry 5 is a total rewrite of the Tapestry web application
framework, bringing forward Tapestry's core concepts: reusable
components, true encapsulation, readable templates, well thought-out
localization/internationalization, and easy management of server-side
state.

Tapestry 5 builds on top of this with a host of new features:

* True POJO component classes: no base classes to extend, no
  interfaces to implement.

* Live class reloading: no need to redeploy to see code changes.

* XML templates with namespaces.

* Minimal configuration via naming conventions and annotations.

* Integrated Ajax support, built on top of Prototype and
  Scriptaculous.

* Automatic client-side form input validation.

* High performance via pooled objects (and by avoiding the use of
  reflection).

* Automatic REST-style URLs.

* Built-in integration with Hibernate and Spring.

* Best-of-breed exception reporting.

* Built-in extensible mega-components: BeanEditForm, BeanDisplay and
  Grid (to edit and display any JavaBean or collection of JavaBeans).

Tapestry organizes your application into pages, and components within
pages; pages and components are ordinary POJOs: not singletons (like
servlets). Tapestry combines pages, page templates, components,
component templates, and other resources together for you, managing
server-side state, the creation of URLs and the dispatch of incoming
requests. You build your application in terms of the methods and
properties of your objects, not in terms of URLs or the Servlet API.

Tapestry features great exception reporting to keep you on track, and
live class reloading to keep you agile.  Tapestry templates are XML
documents, using a namespace for Tapestry-specific elements. Tapestry
is designed to be easy to develop, using any standard IDE with an XML
editor.

Tapestry is simple, sensible and fun. It keeps you productive by
freeing you from the boring, mechanical aspects of web application
development. You can stay focused on what makes your application
interesting and unique, and let Tapestry handle all the ugly plumbing.

Tapestry is made available under the Apache Software License 2.0.
Tapestry is free to download, free to use, free to redistribute and
free to modify.

Tapestry 5.0.18

* Project page: http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/

* Download: http://tapestry.apache.org/download.html

* Release Notes:
  http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/release-notes.html

* Upgrade Notes: http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/upgrade.html

* Via Maven:

    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
	<artifactId>tapestry-core</artifactId>
	<version>5.0.18</version>
    </dependency>

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry 5.0 Final Release - 5.0.18

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
My congratulations to Howard and everyone else on the team. Tapestry
5.0 is an absolutely magnificent piece of work.

Regards,

Geoff Callender

Posted by Martijn Brinkers <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Howard,

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Howard, why don't you post this annoncement at TSS and/or InfoQ?
The whole world should know that competitor frameworks will die hard :)

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko

Re: Tapestry 5.0 Final Release - 5.0.18

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Congrats Howard (and others who have contributed)!

Yep, congratulation Howard, you did an amazing job!

> Just a naming question: wouldn't it be appropriate to name the release
> version something in line with 5.0.GA?
> It will clarify the release status of the version, considering the line of
> versions preceding it (5.0.1, 5.0.2, ...)

About naming i like the version as is, no GA is needed for marking
this release as GA, just a note on the home page is enough.

Anyway is still a great release!

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Tapestry 5.0 Final Release - 5.0.18

Posted by Olle Hallin <ol...@gmail.com>.
Congrats Howard (and others who have contributed)!

Just a naming question: wouldn't it be appropriate to name the release
version something in line with 5.0.GA?
It will clarify the release status of the version, considering the line of
versions preceding it (5.0.1, 5.0.2, ...)

Just my 2c.

Olle

2008/12/15 Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>

> [...]
>> requests. You build your application in terms of the methods and
>> properties of your objects, not in terms of URLs or the Servlet API.
>>
>> Tapestry features great exception reporting to keep you on track, and
>> live class reloading to keep you agile.  Tapestry templates are XML
>> documents, using a namespace for Tapestry-specific elements. Tapestry
>> is designed to be easy to develop, using any standard IDE with an XML
>> editor.
>>
>> Tapestry is simple, sensible and fun. It keeps you productive by
>> freeing you from the boring, mechanical aspects of web application
>> development. You can stay focused on what makes your application
>> interesting and unique, and let Tapestry handle all the ugly plumbing.
>>
>> Tapestry is made available under the Apache Software License 2.0.
>> Tapestry is free to download, free to use, free to redistribute and

Olle Hallin
Senior Java Developer and Architect
olle.hallin@crisp.se
www.crisp.se

Re: Tapestry 5.0 Final Release - 5.0.18

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.
Thank you Howard and Team!

Posted by Stephane Decleire <sd...@cariboo-networks.com>.
Congratulations Howard and all contributors for making our lives as web
developpers, architects, project managers, ... easier !

Best Regards

Stephane

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes, congratulations and many thanks.  T5 has turned into the best web
development framework, in my view, easily knocking out WebObjects, as
well as page-at-a-time-MVC and scripting systems like Struts and jsps.

regards,
Christian.

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.
Great news!

Knowing this framework is in production use for months now, is there a list
of success stories? I think Howard once asked on this list for such stories
and the format in which they should be "reported".

Cheers,
Borut