Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2009/12/13 22:36:54 UTC

[Announce] First release of datatable-autocomplete wicketstuff module

Hello,

I've just committed the first version of the datatable-autocomplete
module into the wicketstuff-core project at wicketstuff.org.

It is licensed under the Apache License version 2.

The main use for this project is to have quick AJAX lookups for large
static datasets.   It includes a Patrica Trie
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix_tree) which is the index and several
wicket components and behaviors to tie a text field into an
IDataProvider to display the results in a data table.

The datatable-autocomplete-examples module works by opening up the
rt.jar file in the jvm classpath and then indexing all of the methods
found.  You can search by the method name only but sort the results by
method name, parameters or class name and see how many results there are
in total after each character of the search.

There are two search modes:
1. Prefix matching which is what the Trie is meant for and is the
fastest at.
2. Any string matching which is still fast at 100,000 elements but
probably slows down faster than prefix matching as the dataset size or
maximum indexed string length grows large.

If you run the example yourself you need to provide more heap space
using -Xmx512M as the trade off for the quick search speed is to hold
all the elements in memory.

I've deployed the example application onto my website here, with 74271
indexed methods:
http://rivulet.ca:8080/datatable-autocomplete-examples-1.4-SNAPSHOT/

I plan on having the datatable-autocomplete module available through
maven but currently you have to check it out from subversion:
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/datatable-autocomplete-parent

Issues can be created here:
http://wicketstuff.org/jira/browse/WSDTA

I hope this will be useful to others,