Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2014/06/17 00:56:48 UTC

How efficient are delayed messages?

I'm planning on deploying a system which will use delayed messages
extensively…

I'm using:

    message.setLongProperty( ScheduledMessage.AMQ_SCHEDULED_DELAY, delay );

In the UI they just go into a 'schedule' section not related to the queues.

I had assumed they would be in the queues, just sitting in there and not
ready to enqueue yet.

I would expect that there will be a LOT of these in my system.

Like millions per hour and probably something like 250k-2M sitting there
waiting to be scheduled at any given time.

Will this scale or am I about to shoot myself in the foot? :)

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*

Re: How efficient are delayed messages?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
a few million is a few hundred persistent messages per second, so you
will be at the mercy of the disk io storing the message for
scheduling.

the simple answer is to ask the computer (*your* computer with a little test)

my suspicion is that you will need to partition your system across
brokers/machines.

--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com