Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Peter Lane <la...@mcs.anl.gov> on 2002/10/07 23:36:36 UTC

XMLSchema validation problems

I've had minor success by adding the setAttribute suggestion and by
using the qualified form for elements (i.e.
elementFormDefault="qualified" and explicitly prepending namespace
prefixes everywhere).  Unfortunetly, I still cannot specify a default
namespace by specifying a targetNamespace in the schema; and either a
matching xmlns="..." in the document with unqualified elements, or
qualified elements.  Doing it that way yields the following error:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content
starting with element 'job'. The content must match '(("":job){0-1})'.

Thanks,
Peter

P.S. For reference, this is how everything looks now:

Schema:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
             xmlns:rsl="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
             xmlns="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl">

             <!-- Add this AND ns prefixes in document to make it work
             elementFormDefault="qualified"
             -->

     <xsd:element name="rsl" type="rslType"/>

     <xsd:complexType name="rslType">
         <xsd:sequence>
             <xsd:element name="job" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
         </xsd:sequence>
     </xsd:complexType>

</xsd:schema>

Document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rsl    xmlns:rsl="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
             xmlns="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
             xsi:schemaLocation="
                 http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl
                 schema/test.xsd">

     <!-- the following fails without ns prefixes AND
	 elementFormDefault="qualified".
	 ns prefixes alone don't cut it either -->

     <job> Jobby Job Job </job>
</rsl>

Code:

	DocumentBuilderFactory parserFactory = null;
         DocumentBuilder xmlParser = null;
         try {
             parserFactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
             parserFactory.setNamespaceAware(true);
             parserFactory.setValidating(true);
	    //The following added per Sandy Gao's suggestion
             parserFactory.setAttribute(
                 "http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaLanguage",
                 "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema");
             xmlParser = parserFactory.newDocumentBuilder();
             xmlParser.setErrorHandler(this);
         } catch (javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException pce) {
             logger.error("problem getting parser factory instance", pce);
             return null;
         }

         BufferedReader bufferedReader = new BufferedReader(xmlReader);
         return xmlParser.parse(new InputSource(bufferedReader));

Re: XMLSchema validation problems

Posted by Eddie Robertsson <er...@allette.com.au>.
Hi Peter,

> P.S. For reference, this is how everything looks now:
>
> Schema:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <xsd:schema
> targetNamespace="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
>             xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>             xmlns:rsl="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
>             xmlns="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl">
>
>             <!-- Add this AND ns prefixes in document to make it work
>             elementFormDefault="qualified"
>             -->

If you want the instance document to use qualified names everywhere then
you should have this attribute in the schema.

>     <xsd:element name="rsl" type="rslType"/>
>
>     <xsd:complexType name="rslType">
>         <xsd:sequence>
>             <xsd:element name="job" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
>         </xsd:sequence>
>     </xsd:complexType>
>
> </xsd:schema>
>
> Document:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <rsl    xmlns:rsl="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
>             xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>             xmlns="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
>             xsi:schemaLocation="
>                 http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl
>                 schema/test.xsd">
>
>     <!-- the following fails without ns prefixes AND
>      elementFormDefault="qualified".
>      ns prefixes alone don't cut it either -->

If you have elementFormDefault="qualified" in your schema then the
instance should validate as it is. I've tried this with Xerces 2.0.3 and
it works fine. Here is the schema and instance:

Schema:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
            xmlns:rsl="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
            xmlns="http://schemas.gridforum.org/gridServices/rsl"
            elementFormDefault="qualified">

    <xsd:element name="rsl" type="rslType"/>

    <xsd:complexType name="rslType">
        <xsd:sequence>
            <xsd:element name="job" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
        </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>
</xsd:schema>

Instance: