Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/26 18:55:41 UTC

MULTI_LEAF_MAP and DID_NOT_FIND_LOAD_ONLY_MAP_PLAN

I'm writing a fairly involved pig script to do some data munging and
after all was said and done, I end up getting the warnings mentioned
in the subject.

The grunt output is actually:

2010-03-26 09:42:33,245 [main] WARN
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.MapReduceLauncher
- Encountered Warning DID_NOT_FIND_LOAD_ONLY_MAP_PLAN 2 time(s).
2010-03-26 09:42:33,250 [main] WARN
org.apache.pig.backend.hadoop.executionengine.mapReduceLayer.MapReduceLauncher
- Encountered Warning MULTI_LEAF_MAP 1 time(s).

This is on pig 0.6.0.  I tried to find a document that can explain
what these mean, but St. Google wasn't of much help.  So, I looked at
the code to try and decipher what they would mean and from what I can
tell

"DID_NOT_FIND_LOAD_ONLY_MAP_PLAN" means that there is a map plan that
meets one of the following conditions

1) has no leaf
2) has more than one leaf
3) has no root
4) has more than one root
5) the leaf is not equivalent to the root

"MULTI_LEAF_MAP" apparently means that there are either zero or >=2
leaves on a map plan.

So, I'm guessing that the DID_NOT_FIND_LOAD_ONLY_MAP_PLAN warnings are
coming from having 2 leaves.  Unfortunately, I have no clue what that
means.  Can anyone shed some light on what these warnings mean, if I
need to care about them and what I should look for to get rid of them
(if they are, in fact, not good)?

Also, if the meaning of these warnings is documented somewhere and
Google just couldn't find it, please point me to the documentation.

--Eric Tschetter

Re: MULTI_LEAF_MAP and DID_NOT_FIND_LOAD_ONLY_MAP_PLAN

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.
This happens in both pig 0.6.1 (built off the branch) and pig 0.6.0.
I built trunk (0.8.1) and tried it, but our internal loader functions
extend ReversibleLoadStoreFunc which apparently doesn't exist in trunk
any more.  I'm not sure what it will take to update our loader and,
unfortunately, don't have the time to look into updating it right now.

So, I'll have to sit on this for a bit.

--Eric

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.