Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Burr Sutter <bs...@redhat.com> on 2010/10/13 00:02:55 UTC

Installation

  I have the proverbial "dumb questions" as the newbie.

My goal is to get a local copy of Deltacloud running against my EC2
environment.

Is this the only source of "installation" documentation?

http://deltacloud.org/download.html

This assumes a lot about someone's Fedora client - my raw Fedora didn't
have gem.

Can someone who has recently been the full process of getting the
deltacloudd running on a brand new Fedora list out the commands, please?

Burr

Re: Installation

Posted by Burr Sutter <bs...@redhat.com>.
  Editing deltacloudd
and commenting
      # require "rerun"
      # use_rerun = true

allows things to run on Windows 7 x64, however, my browser can not hit
http://localhost:3001

"rails server" runs just fine (using Ruby 1.8.7 for rails and 1.8.6 for
deltacloudd)

Is it thin server vs WEBrick?

Re: Installation

Posted by Burr Sutter <bs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Installation

Posted by Burr Sutter <bs...@redhat.com>.

Re: Installation

Posted by Chris Lalancette <cl...@redhat.com>.

--
Chris Lalancette

Re: Installation

Posted by Burr Sutter <bs...@redhat.com>.
[...]

Does this minimum set of steps look about right?  We should publish this
someplace.  Keep in mind that I am not a ruby developer, just an
end-user, not really a Linux guy. :-)

Now I am on to deltacloudd -i ec2

Note sure how to "configure" those settings to point to my EC2 account
yet. :-)

Re: Installation

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.

Re: Installation

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.
Hi Andre, right_aws is needed if you want to use s3 - there was a
problem with amazon's gem (the amazon-ec2 one) which means you can't
work with buckets outside the US. Of course the current situation is not
ideal since we need two gems and as was evident from your own experience
this can cause confusion. For now however this is a necessary evil,

marios

On 13/10/10 11:29, André Dietisheim wrote:
> Hi Marios
>
> as far as I remember the right_aws is not needed (I checked with my
> current gems and I dont have it and things are running here).
>
> Cheers
> André
>
> On 10/13/2010 10:25 AM, marios@redhat.com wrote:
>> Hi Burr,
>>
>> in addition to what Tomas has said, in order to run the ec2 driver for
>> deltacloud you need the 'amazon-ec2' gem and the 'right_aws' gems
>> ('sudo gem install amazon-ec2' and 'sudo gem install right_aws').
>>
>> Please do join us on #deltacloud (irc freenode) and we can hopefully
>> get you up and running in no time,
>>
>> marios
>>
>> On 13/10/10 10:23, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
>>> Hey Burr,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry for the confusion. The `gem` command is in the rubygems
>>> package. `yum install rubygems` should get you covered.
>>>
>>> You can find more detailed instructions here:
>>>
>>> http://deltacloud.org/contribute.html
>>>
>>> This covers installing both the core API stuff and the web frontend. The
>>> page lists the required gems to get you started from a clean Fedora
>>> install, too.
>>>
>>> You seem to need just the API server running, for that you will need the
>>> following packages:
>>>
>>> ruby
>>> ruby-devel
>>> rubygems
>>> gcc-c++
>>> libxml2-devel

Re: Installation

Posted by André Dietisheim <an...@gmail.com>.
  Hi Marios

Re: Installation

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.
Hi Burr,

Re: Installation

Posted by Tomas Sedovic <ts...@redhat.com>.
Hey Burr,

Re: Installation

Posted by André Dietisheim <an...@gmail.com>.
  Hi Burr

I did that process last week but I unfortunately did not write down what
I did. I got greate help from the #steamcannon guys. The general advice
was to use gem instead of rpms.
The general approach was to install, look at the missing dependency,
install it, etc.

so the most valuable commands were:

gem --list
gem --install <gem-package>

The most annoying part was when a dependency "aws" was missing and
neither installing the aws gem nor the aws-ruby gem help. The solution
was to install the amazon-ec2 (pretty logical, huh?) gem.

here's the list of gems I currently have (I do no ruby dev so these
might me the ones needed to run deltacloudd):

activesupport (2.3.8)
amazon-ec2 (0.9.15)
daemons (1.1.0)
deltacloud-client (0.0.9.7)