Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> on 2009/06/12 16:09:32 UTC

[VOTE RESULTS] Qpid C++ 0.5 signed binaries installer for Windows

The vote results are:

+1: 4 (Gordon, Martin, Marnie, Robert)
0: 0
-1: 0

I also added my key to the qpid KEYS file in svn.

I don't believe I have access to edit the wiki or load a file onto
www.apache.org/dist/qpid - how do I request those be done, or get
access so I can do it?

For reference, the files are at:

The binary is at:
http://www.riverace.com/qpid/qpidc-0.5.msi

The signature and sum are at:
http://www.riverace.com/qpid/qpidc-0.5.msi.asc
http://www.riverace.com/qpid/qpidc-0.5.msi.sha1

For notes in the downloads section (and I'd add this to the FAQ also),
if the user does not have Visual Studio .NET 2008 installed already
(for example, a machine that would only run the broker), the Visual
C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) is required before the
broker can be executed. That can be downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a5c84275-3b97
-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&displaylang=en

Thanks,
-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE RESULTS] Qpid C++ 0.5 signed binaries installer for Windows

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/6/15 Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Steve Huston<sh...@riverace.com> wrote:
>>> From: Aidan Skinner [mailto:aidan.skinner@gmail.com]
>>> I've put it in 0.5-windows for just now, so it's at least going to
>> be
>>> available somewhere.
>>
>> Ok. I guess there's a time delay for things to propagate? (It's not
>> there yet).
>
> Yeah, it syncs a few times a day, then mirrors pick it up a bit after
> that. It's on http://www.apache.org/dist/qpid/0.5-windows/ now
>
>>> Oh, definitely. The more integrated the build (and test)
>>> process the better.
>>
>> I agree... Just noting that the process isn't there today, so
>> collecting all the pieces at the same time isn't really possible yet.
>
> Totally.. I wonder if we can make somewhere on people.a.o to upload
> the various bits and pieces too. Multi-platform builds are a pain
> though.
>
>> It says I have insufficient permission to edit the page... Can someone
>> please add me (shuston) where necessary?
>
> I don't think I have the necessary bits/smarts to do that, sorry. Carl? Martin?

I don't have enough bits to add you to the required qpid-committers
confluence group.  However I have given you the same rights as that
group. I don't know if that will work or not but git it a try and let
me know. We just need to get someone who is 'Conflence Admin' to sort
this out.

> - Aidan
> --
> Apache Qpid - Give me convenience or give me death
> http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Martin Ritchie

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> From: Aidan Skinner [mailto:aidan.skinner@gmail.com]
> I've put it in 0.5-windows for just now, so it's at least going to
be
> available somewhere.

Ok. I guess there's a time delay for things to propagate? (It's not
there yet).

> >> I'm not sure 0.5 is the right place to put it, as it wasn't part
of
> >> the origional bits and messing with SHA1SUM seems
> undignified to say
> >> the least.
> >
> > I see your point, but doesn't that argue for all artifacts being
> > produced at once, even the ones that are built on different
> platforms?
>
> Oh, definitely. The more integrated the build (and test)
> process the better.

I agree... Just noting that the process isn't there today, so
collecting all the pieces at the same time isn't really possible yet.

> I think having this is awesome btw. :)

Thanks... And we all thank Microsoft for sponsoring it.

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/editpage.action?pageId=34042

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Steve Huston<sh...@riverace.com> wrote:

> Ok, I copied it to ~shuston on people.apache.org but don't have rights
> to copy it to /www/www/apache.org/dist/qpid/0.5 - Martin does... Can
> you copy qpidc-0.5.msi and qpidc-0.5.msi.asc (qpidc-0.5.msi.sha1 is
> there too)?

We should really have everything under there be group writable.
Martin, can you chmod g+w /www/www/apache.org/dist/qpid/0.5 and KEYS
please? Rafi, could you do the same for M4?

(We might want to set a mask or something, the move-to-dist process is
still pretty manual).

I've put it in 0.5-windows for just now, so it's at least going to be
available somewhere.

>> I'm not sure 0.5 is the right place to put it, as it wasn't part of
>> the origional bits and messing with SHA1SUM seems undignified to say
>> the least.
>
> I see your point, but doesn't that argue for all artifacts being
> produced at once, even the ones that are built on different platforms?

Oh, definitely. The more integrated the build (and test) process the better.
I think having this is awesome btw. :)

> The original concensus on the list was to host the installer on
> qpid.apache.org, and the VOTE thread was 4-0 in favor of these bits -
> I'd like to get this into the hands of developers soon, so would like
> whatever direction I need to get it there.

qpid.apache.org is really just a confluence export, putting it on
www.apache.org/dist get's onto the mirrors[1] etc. if you go to
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/editpage.action?pageId=34042
you can add any instructions for downloading and using it you need to
to qpid.apache.org/download.html

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, all I've done is checked the
signature and the hash.

- Aidan (wow, we really need to document this better)

[1] cwiki's ok for hosting design documents and stuff but it's not
really suitable for hosting public things.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Aidan,

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

RE: Qpid C++ 0.5 signed binaries installer for Windows

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 11:30 -0400, Steve Huston wrote:
> > From: Joshua Kramer [mailto:josh@globalherald.net]
> >
> > > I believe the broker will need additional code to properly react
> > > the Windows Service controls. If you could help with these items
> for
> >
> > Good point.  Do you think this should be a part of the broker
> > itself, or
> > do you think it should be done with a service control
> > "wrapper"?  This is
> > what Postgres does - the pg_ctl program acts as a wrapper for the
> > postmaster and interprets the Windows control signals.
>
> I think it should be in the broker. There's already a set of files
> that are only included in the Windows build (same deal for Linux et
> al) so it's not a big deal to add it.
>
> Do you see an advantage in the wrapper approach?

I've done this (a while ago) in a previous life.

There are plusses and minuses to both approaches:

Integrated windows service loop:
* It's more, um, Windows like.
* Fewer processes to run.
* No issue with the SCM/wrapper code thinking that the service state is
one thing when it's not, because of bugs in the wrapper.

Wrapper:
* Less platform specific code.
* Much easier to debug a regular process, rather than a service process
* Windows services run a strange "main" adding to the differences
* This means that the top level code is different when running as a
service or stand-alone.
* There are already some wrappers out there that might be repurposed,
although I don't know about the licensing.

In summary:

Integrating is more windows like and is probably more deployment
focussed.

Wrapping allows for code that is more similar cross platform, and easier
debuggability.

Of course things may have changes in the years since I last did this
(nearly 10 years now), so this assessment could be off a bit.

I'd like to help out with this, but I'm a little busy on other things
now and for the foreseeable future (about 2 weeks in my case!)

Andrew

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net>.
> I believe the broker will need additional code to properly react to
> the Windows Service controls. If you could help with these items for

Good point.  Do you think this should be a part of the broker itself, or
do you think it should be done with a service control "wrapper"?  This is
what Postgres does - the pg_ctl program acts as a wrapper for the
postmaster and interprets the Windows control signals.

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Joshua,

> Would it be beneficial to have the installer do the following:
>
> 1. Create a service user
> 2. Register as a Windows service
>
> A while back I created Windows installers for the xTuple ERP
> application that did those things for Postgres.  It shouldn't be
that
> difficult to do for Qpid.

That would be great!

I believe the broker will need additional code to properly react to
the Windows Service controls. If you could help with these items for
0.6 that would be great.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Carl,

> Nicely done,

Thanks.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Steve,

Nicely done,  do you know how to get the artefacts into the dist dir,
and link to download page etc?

Carl.