Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2014/12/31 17:59:55 UTC

Git write access for podlings

Hi,

So something Jan and I ran into on the infra list, does anyone know
definitively what the access rights given to a podling's git repo are, if
they request one (instead of a svn directory)?

If nothing else we should document it somewhere on the incubator site
indicating the permission sets for both svn and git.  My current
understanding is that svn sites are typically incubator wide, svn repos are
confined to a specific list, and git repos are incubator wide.  The git one
in particular because we don't create ldap groups for podlings and I've
heard that we only do groups in git (not individual lists).

John

Re: Git write access for podlings

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Every PMC member of a running PMC has a responsibility to keep an eye
out for crazy commits. Once this is reflected in the doc, it's good
practice for PPMC members.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 02.01.2015 11:36, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> Apache Commons has already given write access to *all* ASF committers

So did Subversion, quite a while ago.

If you get rogue commits from someone, the solution is not extra tooling
but community management. Even more so in the case of the Incubator,
where access is restricted to IPMC members and podling committers — all
of whom should be well aware that you can't just go messing in some code
without checking with the project community first.

Understanding the concept of "community over code" and how to
collaborate is a requirement for new committers and triply so for IPMC
members.

-- Brane

Re: Git write access for podlings

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/01/15 16:40, David Nalley wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Git allows you to commit as "whoever you want" - e.g. like in SMTP
>>> email, the headers are decided by the sender. SVN on the other hand
>>> will show the authenticated user in the commit log. So - speaking as a
>>> former sysadmin - it sounds a bit daring to let anyone new to Apache
>>> from a fresh Incubator proposal to also get instant write access to
>>> all Incubator projects, including those that are just about to
>>> graduate.
>>

>>  From a git commit log perspective, this is true, but we also retain
>> push records that show us the user authenticated as, as well as the IP
>> Address they are pushing commits from. In example:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/logs/asf/incubator-nifi.git
>

> I looked at Jena's log and until Dec 2 this year, the IP address was always
>
> @http.192.168.0.58
>
> and since 2014-12-03 there are likely looking true IP addresses but of the
> NAT gateway used.

Indeed - originally git-wip-us was directly exposed to the internet.
That changed a couple of years back and we had a SSL terminator host
(which had the internal address of 192.168.0.58, because we failed to
enable the forwarded IP address.) That's since been dealt with, but
history is what it is. The generally, more useful item is that someone
authenticated (successfully) as $user and pushed a commit.

--David

Re: Git write access for podlings

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 02/01/15 16:40, David Nalley wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Git allows you to commit as "whoever you want" - e.g. like in SMTP
>> email, the headers are decided by the sender. SVN on the other hand
>> will show the authenticated user in the commit log. So - speaking as a
>> former sysadmin - it sounds a bit daring to let anyone new to Apache
>> from a fresh Incubator proposal to also get instant write access to
>> all Incubator projects, including those that are just about to
>> graduate.
>

>  From a git commit log perspective, this is true, but we also retain
> push records that show us the user authenticated as, as well as the IP
> Address they are pushing commits from. In example:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/logs/asf/incubator-nifi.git

I looked at Jena's log and until Dec 2 this year, the IP address was always

@http.192.168.0.58

and since 2014-12-03 there are likely looking true IP addresses but of
the NAT gateway used.

	Andy

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)

Re: Git write access for podlings

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 31 December 2014 at 17:59, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So something Jan and I ran into on the infra list, does anyone know
> definitively what the access rights given to a podling's git repo are, if
> they request one (instead of a svn directory)?
>
> If nothing else we should document it somewhere on the incubator site
> indicating the permission sets for both svn and git.  My current
> understanding is that svn sites are typically incubator wide, svn repos are
> confined to a specific list, and git repos are incubator wide.  The git one
> in particular because we don't create ldap groups for podlings and I've
> heard that we only do groups in git (not individual lists).

thanks john for moving this into a general discussion. Your description is
correct.

My view is that SVN sites should be incubator wide, but GIT and SVN podling
repos should NOT be incubator wide.

However I say this without knowing the technical implications so it is my
hope that people like jfarrell will chime in.

rgds
jan i.