Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com> on 2010/01/11 20:19:13 UTC

Fake mailing list spam

Since I, like I suppose a lot of people, exempt mailing lists from spam checks, I've seen a lot of these messages getting through in the last few days:

<http://pastebin.com/m499e172e>

I have been bouncing these to gmail, but I know that's useless. Not sure what do do since I don't want to scan mailing-lists.

--
Anybody who tells me what happens to me after I'm dead is either
	a liar or a fool because they DON'T KNOW --Stephen Fry

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.
> Report the abuse to Google and reject any mail from
> @listserv.bounces.google.com

Trademark violation?  http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp

I thought this was faked the first time I saw it.

Joseph Brennan

Re: Fake mailing list spam

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
LuKreme wrote on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:14:06 -0700:

> I never subscribed to the list in question. I am, in fact, not
> subscribed to any googlelists on this account.

Report the abuse to Google and reject any mail from
@listserv.bounces.google.com

So, Google allows non-opt-in mailing lists like Yahoo does. Great :-( I've
got a few of these last year from several Yahoo mailing lists that had
only been set up to spam. Mailing-list names just contained a few random
characters and the target public seems to have been Chinese.
I submitted several nasty comments via their reporting mechanism and it
stopped after a few weeks. Don't know if they simply put my mail address
on a no-go list or if they changed something with the lists or the spammer
just stopped using them.

Kai

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon 11 Jan 2010 09:14:06 PM CET, LuKreme wrote
>> google, seem this maillist have a spammer connected on this
>> maillist where you recieve the spam from a valid maillist at
>> google, so report it as spam to them
> I never subscribed to the list in question. I am, in fact, not
> subscribed to any googlelists on this account.

so report that someone else have done it for you :)

--
xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010, LuKreme wrote:
: I never subscribed to the list in question. I am, in fact, not
: subscribed to any googlelists on this account.

I'm not an expert on googlegroups headers, but these 'look right'.
So I'm inclined to agree that this is just an abused group and not
spam that is 'faking' being from the group.

I would blacklist the specific group (List-ID: header should do the trick)
and report the spam to Google.

- Charles

Re: Fake mailing list spam

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

Re: Fake mailing list spam

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Mon 11 Jan 2010 08:19:13 PM CET, LuKreme wrote
> I have been bouncing these to gmail, but I know that's useless. Not
> sure what do do since I don't want to scan mailing-lists.

send this mail to maillist-owner and or abuse at google, seem this