Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2008/01/29 00:50:05 UTC

Re: this is slooooow... [was Re: [FREEZE-ANNOUNCEMENT] Release 2.0.1]

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 20:22 +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Hi Lenya devs,
> >
> > 7 days from now the code freeze for the release 2.0.1 will begin.
> >
> > When the freeze starts, I suggest that I create a tag and set the
> > svn:externals to the Cocoon 2.1.11 release, so that we can use the tag
> > for testing. Is this OK for everyone?
>
> +1
>
> we really need a speedier procedure for maintenance releases imho.
> right now, it's not too hairy, but imagine we had a security flaw to
> address... do our rules allow immediate release if a certain number of
> active committers have voted for it and there are no explicit vetoes?

IMO especially for security releases one should at least have a week for
testing and reviewing, otherwise we risk to open up another security
risk.

> (generally, i don't want to induce lengthy bylaw discussions -

Actually any decision regarding this topic should go into our bylaws to
clarify our point in this issue.

> my
> approach would be "do it in breach of current procedure due to urgency,
> and get a vote later on to give it solid backing"...

This could not be an official release of the ASF since the backing comes
afterward. IMO one week is not too much to vote/freeze and meanwhile
prepare the release and testing.

salu2