Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Williamson <to...@cox.net> on 2015/04/05 03:06:37 UTC

Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

I would like to know if anyone has a working example of getting TLS 1.2
working on Tomcat 7.0.55, so that it can be accessed by the latest version
of Chrome and Firefox.    Either my Tomcat configuration is wrong, or there
is another problem outside of Tomcat that is keeping me from connecting to
it.  Here is the background:

I have a small private website running on Tomcat 7.0.55 on Ubuntu 14.04.   I
set it up over two years ago to use HTTPS only, and as far as I know it’s
still working fine.   Unfortunately I can no longer reach it because when I
try to access it through the latest Chrome browser I get this error:

"A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an
unsupported protocol.
Error code: ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

With the latest Firefox I get this:

"Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"

Of course, neither Chrome nor Firefox give you any information about what
ciphers/SSL versions would actually **work**, they just tell you that what
you've got isn't working.   I have spent the entire day trying to force
Tomcat to use some version of TLS.   I have Googled and posted on
StackExchange.    Unfortunately most of the online information I have found
simply does not seem to work.    I either get a configuration error in the
Tomcat console or the same messages I referenced above.

Here's my SSL connector entry from server.xml:

<Connector port="8484" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
           keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore"
           keystorePass="password"
           clientAuth="false"
           sslProtocol="TLS"
           sslEnabledProtocols="TLS" />

So far based on the Tomcat 7.0 docs, I have tried the following
configuration changes:

sslEnabledProtocols="TLS"
sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1"
sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1"
sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"

With most of these, I don't get any error in the console (I have logging set
to ALL), but I also have not been able to get either Chrome or Firefox to
connect.

I have also tried various combinations of "sslProtocols=" and "cipher=",
also with no luck.

Can anyone post a sample <connector> configuration that works?

Re: Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
>> After a weekend of ripping out clumps of my hair and swearing at my
>> computer, nothing had worked.   In desperation, before upgrading
>> Java and Tomcat, I tried regenerating my self-signed certificate
>> with new settings (SHA256 instead of SHA1) and that seems to have
>> solved the problem.    Moral of the story:   Take browser error
>> messages with a large grain of salt.
>
> The cipher-mismatch was probably solved by something you changed in
> your configuration. Re-generating the TLS certificate might have ended
> some of the warnings about certs with a SHA-1 signature, but the
> cipher-mismatch is a different beast and probably more important.

+1

I just tested Firefox connecting to server that serves SHA-1
certificates, and Firefox issues no warning (except in a web console),
let alone to refuse the connection.

-Ognjen

Re: Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Tom,

On 4/6/15 10:15 PM, Tom Williamson wrote:
> Thank you (and the others who responded).   I was tearing my hair
> out trying to fix this.   Some background (if anyone cares):
>
> I have a small private site protected by SSL, which has run fine
> for 2 years with no maintenance at all.   A couple of months ago,
> after a Chrome update, it became inaccessible using Chrome.    I
> switched to Firefox to access it. Last Friday, it became
> inaccessible using Firefox.   The browser error messages indicated
> that my site's encryption was no longer acceptable:
>
> Chrome said: "A secure connection cannot be established because
> this site uses an unsupported protocol.  Error code:
> ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"
>
> Firefox said:  "Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common
> encryption algorithm(s). (Error code:
> ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"
>
> Naturally, this pointed me in the direction of trying to change
> the cipher settings of my site.   SSL/TLS cipher settings and the
> whole SSL scheme are, shall we say, not clearly documented for
> someone who administers Tomcat once every two years.

Something like this?
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Security/Ciphers

> After a weekend of ripping out clumps of my hair and swearing at my
> computer, nothing had worked.   In desperation, before upgrading
> Java and Tomcat, I tried regenerating my self-signed certificate
> with new settings (SHA256 instead of SHA1) and that seems to have
> solved the problem.    Moral of the story:   Take browser error
> messages with a large grain of salt.

The cipher-mismatch was probably solved by something you changed in
your configuration. Re-generating the TLS certificate might have ended
some of the warnings about certs with a SHA-1 signature, but the
cipher-mismatch is a different beast and probably more important.

- -chris

Posted by Tom Williamson <to...@cox.net>.
Thank you (and the others who responded).   I was tearing my hair out trying
to fix this.   Some background (if anyone cares):

I have a small private site protected by SSL, which has run fine for 2 years
with no maintenance at all.   A couple of months ago, after a Chrome update,
it became inaccessible using Chrome.    I switched to Firefox to access it.
Last Friday, it became inaccessible using Firefox.   The browser error
messages indicated that my site's encryption was no longer acceptable:

Chrome said: "A secure connection cannot be established because this site
uses an unsupported protocol.  Error code:
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

Firefox said:  "Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)"

Naturally, this pointed me in the direction of trying to change the cipher
settings of my site.   SSL/TLS cipher settings and the whole SSL scheme are,
shall we say, not clearly documented for someone who administers Tomcat once
every two years.  After a weekend of ripping out clumps of my hair and
swearing at my computer, nothing had worked.   In desperation, before
upgrading Java and Tomcat, I tried regenerating my self-signed certificate
with new settings (SHA256 instead of SHA1) and that seems to have solved the
problem.    Moral of the story:   Take browser error messages with a large
grain of salt.

Thanks again.

On 4/6/2015 2:11 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Tom,
>
> On 5.4.2015 3:06, Tom Williamson wrote:
>> I would like to know if anyone has a working example of getting TLS 1.2
>> working on Tomcat 7.0.55, so that it can be accessed by the latest
>> version of Chrome and Firefox.
>
> Which version of Java do you use? Make sure it is Java 7 or 8, and if you
> already didn't upgrade, then upgrade to the latest released version.
>
> Could you clarify do you need TLSv1.2 only, or you need TLSv1.2 among
> other TLS versions (v1 and v1.1)?
>

>> <Connector port="8484" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>>            maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>>            keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore"
>>            keystorePass="password"
>>            clientAuth="false"
>>            sslProtocol="TLS"
>>            sslEnabledProtocols="TLS" />
>
> By specifing protocol="HTTP/1.1" you are using connector auto-detection.
> Depending on the existance of Tomcat native DLL, Tomcat will automatically
> select between APR connector and JSSE connector. Those two connectors have
> completely different set of options. The options you are using
> (keystoreFile, keystorePass), are clearly indicating you wish to use JSSE
> connectors. Therefore, to rule out present and future auto-detection
> problems, I would recommend that you explicitly specify connector you wish
> to use. E.g. for JSSE BIO connector that would be:
>
>   protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>

> Next, sslEnabledProtocols should specify exact TLS versions, so if you
> need only TLSv1.2 use:
>
>   sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
>
> and if you need e.g. all three versions, then omit attribute
> sslEnabledProtocols, or use:
>
>   sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"
>

>> So far based on the Tomcat 7.0 docs, I have tried the following
>> configuration changes:
>>
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLS"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"
>
> Except for the first one, all other examples should be working.
>

>> With most of these, I don't get any error in the console (I have logging
>> set to ALL), but I also have not been able to get either Chrome or
>> Firefox to connect.
>>
>> I have also tried various combinations of "sslProtocols=" and "cipher=",
>> also with no luck.
>>
>> Can anyone post a sample <connector> configuration that works?
>
> Try this:
>
> <Connector port="443"
>            protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>            SSLEnabled="true"
>            maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>            clientAuth="false"
>            keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore"
>            keystorePass="password"
>            sslProtocol="TLS"
>            sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2" />
>
> BTW, the attribute name is "ciphers", not "cipher".
>
> -Ognjen

Nicely done!

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

Posted by David Wall <d....@computer.org>.
We're on Tomcat 8 with Java 8, so it has more options for ciphers, but
this is what we use:

     <Connector port="8443"
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" SSLEnabled="true"
                connectionTimeout="20000" acceptorThreadCount="2"
URIEncoding="UTF-8"
                 compression="on"
compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/plain,application/xml,application/json,application/javascript,application/pdf"
                 keystoreFile="tomcatKeystoreFileName" keystorePass="PUT
YOUR KEYSTORE PASSWORD HERE"
ciphers="TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384,
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,
SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA"
                clientAuth="false" sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1, TLSv1.1,
TLSv1.2" />

As I understand it, we no longer can be connected by IE6 or even Java 6
clients because they won't have the ciphers required.

Hope that helps some even if a bit off the main question of using Tomcat
7 (though I see no advantage to using the older one unless there's some
problem).

Re: Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 4/6/2015 2:11 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Tom,
>
> On 5.4.2015 3:06, Tom Williamson wrote:
>> I would like to know if anyone has a working example of getting TLS 1.2
>> working on Tomcat 7.0.55, so that it can be accessed by the latest
>> version of Chrome and Firefox.
>
> Which version of Java do you use? Make sure it is Java 7 or 8, and if
> you already didn't upgrade, then upgrade to the latest released version.
>
> Could you clarify do you need TLSv1.2 only, or you need TLSv1.2 among
> other TLS versions (v1 and v1.1)?
>

>> <Connector port="8484" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
>>            maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>>            keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore"
>>            keystorePass="password"
>>            clientAuth="false"
>>            sslProtocol="TLS"
>>            sslEnabledProtocols="TLS" />
>
> By specifing protocol="HTTP/1.1" you are using connector
> auto-detection. Depending on the existance of Tomcat native DLL,
> Tomcat will automatically select between APR connector and JSSE
> connector. Those two connectors have completely different set of
> options. The options you are using (keystoreFile, keystorePass), are
> clearly indicating you wish to use JSSE connectors. Therefore, to rule
> out present and future auto-detection problems, I would recommend that
> you explicitly specify connector you wish to use. E.g. for JSSE BIO
> connector that would be:
>
>   protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>

> Next, sslEnabledProtocols should specify exact TLS versions, so if you
> need only TLSv1.2 use:
>
>   sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
>
> and if you need e.g. all three versions, then omit attribute
> sslEnabledProtocols, or use:
>
>   sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"
>

>> So far based on the Tomcat 7.0 docs, I have tried the following
>> configuration changes:
>>
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLS"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2"
>> sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2"
>
> Except for the first one, all other examples should be working.
>

>> With most of these, I don't get any error in the console (I have logging
>> set to ALL), but I also have not been able to get either Chrome or
>> Firefox to connect.
>>
>> I have also tried various combinations of "sslProtocols=" and "cipher=",
>> also with no luck.
>>
>> Can anyone post a sample <connector> configuration that works?
>
> Try this:
>
> <Connector port="443"
>            protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
>            SSLEnabled="true"
>            maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"
>            clientAuth="false"
>            keystoreFile="/path/mykeystore"
>            keystorePass="password"
>            sslProtocol="TLS"
>            sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1.2" />
>
> BTW, the attribute name is "ciphers", not "cipher".
>
> -Ognjen

Nicely done!

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Need configuration example for Tomcat 7.0.55 TLS configuration

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Tom,