Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Pankaj_Gupta <pa...@ansys.com> on 2007/06/14 17:21:40 UTC

Versoning of properties and file content

Hi,

In our applications we have file nodes that contain:
1) file content (stored in the nt:resource node),
2) some content specific properties that may be extracted from the content
and
3) some non-content specific properties such as access-control list.

If we make the file node versionable then users will have to
checkout/checkin even if they only make changes to non-content specific
properties. I suspect this will result in the duplication of the file
content for the different revisions of the file node. Some of the files are
very large and we don't want them to be duplicated if all the user is doing
is changing the permissions of the file. Is there a way to avoid this?

Ideally we would want to version the file node and the nt:resource node
separately so that the version of the resource node is incremented only when
the content is changed. Also restoring a file node should also restore the
appropriate version of the reosurce node. I was hoping that this should be
the semantics when the onParentVersion attribute of the child node =
VERSION. But according to the spec this will leave the current resource node
unchanged. One way of achieving this will be to set the onParentVersion
attribute of the resource node to IGNORE and explicitly store the current
version of the resource node in the file node so that restoring the file
node also restores the appropriate resource node. Is there a better way?

Thanks!