Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Johnson, S" <sj...@edina.k12.mn.us> on 2005/04/28 18:45:01 UTC

Custom rules not hitting

Hello,

I'm on SA version 3.0.2

 I created a fairly extensive set of rules to hit the type of spam we're
seeing.  I prefixed the rules with a ZXC_, ZXM_ , or ZXS_ to be able to
search in the maillog for the occurrence of the rules quickly.

  When I run spamassassin -lint -D I see that it's hitting the
80_custom.cf, 80_customsec.cf, and 80_mortgage.cf and no errors are
being reported.

Here's one of a few rules that keep getting missed:

body __penis /penis/i

body __size /size/i

meta ZXS_pen_enlarge (__penis && __size )

score ZXS_pen_enlarge 1.5

Even to test, I set the score to 10 and sent a message with just "penis
size" in it and it was completely missed.

All of the default rules are working fine.

Can anyone see any issues with that rule or point me in a direction of
troubleshooting this? Thanks.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Confidentiality Notice

If the information in this electronic communication relates to an individual pupil, it is a confidential pupil record under Minnesota Law and may not be reviewed, distributed, or copied by any person other than the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. This electronic communication is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any further review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this electronic communication or any attachment thereto is strictly prohibited. If you have received an electronic communication in error, you should immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system.

Re[2]: Custom rules not hitting

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Matt,

Thursday, April 28, 2005, 10:08:59 AM, you wrote:

MK> 4) It is generally considered unusual to have rule names with lower case
MK> letters in them. I don't think this will keep your rules from working,
MK> but I do think you should consider renaming your rules. If nothing else,
MK> consider that all the standard rules use caps-only names, and any bug
MK> parsing rules with lower-case names would never be noticed by the
MK> developers.

Actually, I prefer lower-case and mixed-case rule names for local
rules. It helps make sure that the rule names do not overlap
distribution and/or SARE rule names.

Bob Menschel

Re: Custom rules not hitting

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Johnson, S wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m on SA version 3.0.2
>
> Even to test, I set the score to 10 and sent a message with just
> “penis size” in it and it was completely missed.
>
> All of the default rules are working fine.
>
> Can anyone see any issues with that rule or point me in a direction of
> troubleshooting this? Thanks.

1) do you use spamd? If so, did you restart it? (You MUST restart spamd
as spamd only parses the default and site-config rules at startup time,
not per-message)

2) create a test message that should hit, and run it through sa with
full rules-run debugging enabled:

spamassassin -D rulesrun=255 <test_message.txt

3) your test works for me, but I'm using 2.64 at the moment.

RE: Custom rules not hitting

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
Did you restart spamd or whatever is running spamassassin for your mta?

Are you sure the MTA is picking up its local.cf from the same folder in
which you created your rule files?

  _____