Posted to community@apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2005/08/08 19:52:04 UTC

Re: Netiquette: Is there an issue, and can we make the ASF more welcoming?

On 8/7/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> There has been quite a bit of discussion around the ASF, not always on open
> lists, to the effect that sometimes people are turned off or scared off
from
> participation, whether in a discussion, project or the ASF as a whole.
>
> The purpose for this message is to start a thread discussion the matter.
>
>   - Is there an issue?
>   - If so, how can we address it?

One common complaint is the (perceived) level of bureaucracy,
particularly for proposals entering the Incubator.  I've often thought
that some sort of "welcome packet" for new committers, new PMC
members, and especially new Incubator projects could help.

:-) ) but I'd rather see this community list used instead.

--
 jaaron