Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/22 18:50:54 UTC

Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Hey Everyone,

So coho (https://github.com/stevengill/coho) now does gpg signing. I think
that the releases being made by coho are apache release compliant but I
would love some input from the mentors.

Right now, we have a KEYS file that has public keys. Where does this get
uploaded?

If all things look good, we could potentially make 1.5 our first official
apache release. Please advise!

Thanks,
-Steve

Re: Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
+1

Posted by Tim Kim <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jukka,

With all the repos now tagged at 1.6.0rc1 so I thought we'd give this
another go:
http://people.apache.org/~goya/1.6.0rc1/

Some notes:
- A few of the src archives don't have the version/notice file since those
were included post 1.6.0rc1. When we do release 1.6, those will be included.
- References to phonegap in the readmes: I wasn't sure if we wanted to
remove all the references just yet since there are a lot of useful links
under the phonegap name. I put a note that this would change in the future
so I hope that's sufficient.
- Documentation and build instructions: I didn't want to put all of the
build instructions into the top level readme, so I hope putting a comment
that those instructions are within the readmes of the platform folders
would suffice.

Re: Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Tim Kim <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The coho tool has been updated and I'm hoping we're ASF release compliant
>> now. This is now what coho produces: http://people.apache.org/~goya/
>
> Cool, thanks. I'll give it a closer look tomorrow.

We're getting closer. Some comments though:

* The NOTICE, license, readme.md and version files at the top of the
release tree should ideally go inside the src archive. That's the
official release artifact, so it should contain all relevant details.
* Why are some of the files in the root directory in lower case and
others in upper?
* The readme.md file is outdated. More generally also many of the
component READMEs still refer to PhoneGap.
* The source archive should contain the incubator disclaimer [1]. The
typical approach is to put it into a DISCLAIMER file.
* The source archive contains the .git directories of the cloned
components. Besides the extra weight in the release package, this is
troublesome as it implies that we're releasing the entire version
history of the project instead of just the current state.
* SHA1 checksums would be nice in addition to the MD5 ones.
* Related to the first point, the src archive has no top-level
documentation or build instructions.

I'll try to do a second pass tomorrow with licensing and source headers in mind.

PS. As a general comment, I've seen many projects use this idea of a
custom release script constructing release packages using an elaborate
sequence of steps. In practice they all end up having trouble when the
script starts to get outdated and nobody notices that until it's time
to cut a release (or perhaps not even then). An IMHO better approach
is to treat the exact contents of a normal source checkout as the
release source. For Cordova this could mean simply using "git archive"
to package up the tagged source trees, signing those tarballs, and
using the resulting files as the official source release.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#basic-facts

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Yeah we should.

Could that count as a meaningful contribution, and set the table for us to
vote Tim in as committer?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Tim Kim <ti...@gmail.com>.
Greetings all,

The coho tool has been updated and I'm hoping we're ASF release compliant
now. This is now what coho produces: http://people.apache.org/~goya/

There are a few last issues, specifically not having all the license and
notice information in there. I think there are a few platforms that don't
have some of these files so when those get updated, I can just copy and
paste that info into the master license/notice file. Otherwise, I *think*
we're good.

Please let me know if there are any issues.

--
Timothy Kim

Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Coho Release tool *MENTOR INPUT NEEDED*

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.