Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/08/08 23:13:08 UTC

[Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Trivial Update of "Hbase/HbaseShell/HQL" by stack

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucene-hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by stack:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell/HQL

The comment on the change is:
Couple of comments

  without using programming APIs.

  We borrowed the syntax definition style from MySQL.
+
+ ''~-This page looks excellent.  I've added a few minor comments.  Please remove when done with them. -- St.Ack-~''

  == Data Definition Statements ==

@@ -94, +96 @@

  TIMESTAMP returns only the values with the specified timestamp.

+
+ ''~- I'd suggest you add LIMIT as in LIMIT=20 returns twenty rows only.  Otherwise, when the database has many rows, the users screen will be overwhelmed by returns.  You could use the new filter mechanism [http://lucene.zones.apache.org:8080/hudson/job/Hadoop-Nightly/javadoc/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/filter/package-summary.html filters], in particular the StopRowFilter implementing LIMIT.  How about an INTO so you can select INTO another table or INTO a file? -- St.Ack-~''
+
  === INSERT Syntax ===
  INSERT inserts a set of values into a table.

@@ -138, +143 @@

  By default, for every statement execution that updates a table,
  Hbase immediately stores the update on disk.

+
+ ''~- TRANSACTION on a row-level only -- and this is all you could guarantee in HBase -- may be a bit-over-the-top and require more effort than its worth.  How about implementing this one last, if it is needed at all? -- St.Ack-~''
+