Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Schobel <ds...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/08 05:35:41 UTC

cores vs indices

Can someone provide me with a succinct defintion of what a solr core
is? Is there a one-to-one relationship of cores to solr indices or can
you have multiple indices per core?

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: cores vs indices

Posted by Dave Stuart <da...@progressivealliance.co.uk>.
Hi Daniel,

Yes there is a one-to-one relationship between Solr indices and cores. The one to many comes when you look at the relationship between cores and tomcat/jetty webapps instances. This gives you the ability to clone, add and swap cores around.

See for for core manipulation functions:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin

Regards,

Dave