Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Riaz <br...@mum.edu> on 2007/11/20 16:55:25 UTC

Configure webapp Session timeout

Hello all,

We're running a servlet that processes responses from an online test. The
test is >2 hrs long, and we find that if a user does not make a request from
his browser (saves a test answer) the sesion times out, and when he does
next try to save an answer the servlet bounces him back to the login page.
I know it's possible to configure the Tomcat session length in conf/web.xml,
which would affect the sessions of all the webapps running on Tomcat, but I
wondered if anybody knew how to configure the session for one particular
webapp.
Many thanks.

Bob

RE: Configure webapp Session timeout

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dustin Fortin [mailto:dfortin@airscorp.com]
> Subject: RE: Configure webapp Session timeout
>
> That timeout is set to 60 seconds as it is.

Since your servlet runs for 2 hours, a 60-second timeout seems a mite on
the short side...

> Even then it wont throw a stack trace to log,
> or to the web browser.

Why would you expect a stack trace on a session timeout?  Session
expiration doesn't affect requests being processed, only future ones.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Configure webapp Session timeout

Posted by Dustin Fortin <df...@airscorp.com>.
That timeout is set to 60 seconds as it is.  Even then it wont throw a
stack trace to log, or to the web browser.

-dsutin

> I wondered if anybody knew how to configure the session for one
> particular webapp.

Set the <session-timeout> in that webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml file; it will
override the global one.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.