Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com> on 2002/01/29 18:34:29 UTC

RE: why does xerces add attributes in alphabetical order of attri bute name

>I know that this is not the right list to address the issue, but I just
>want to point out that XML was invented with human readability in mind --
>so it seems perfectly reasonable to want to make an XML document humanly
>readable (ie. by ordering attributes in some meaningful order). I guess it
>was an oversight in the XML spec to specify attributes unordered.

I would guess from the designer's perspective, the answer is "why?"  What
benefits are there to ordering attributes?   Elements are not ordered to
preserve readability, they are ordered to preserve structure.  If the
readability of your document is severely influenced by attribute ordering,
I'd guess that you have too many attributes in an element.

- r

RE: why does xerces add attributes in alphabetical order of attri bute name

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.