Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paolo De Marco <pa...@realcomm.it> on 2007/12/20 09:16:17 UTC

Stop tests when score is high

Hi.
There is a way to stop tests when the score of the mail is higher then a
value?

Re: Stop tests when score is high

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Paolo De Marco wrote:
> Hi.
> There is a way to stop tests when the score of the mail is higher then
> a value?

Not in a general sense, but there is a shortcircuit plugin that can be
used to stop checking when a particular rule hits.
You can also use the rule priority to cause the trusted shortcircuit
rules to run before the rest of the ruleset.

see:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_Shortcircuit.html

The primary problem with doing this at a score threshold is you never
know if a large negative-scoring rule is going to come by and drive the
score way down. (ie: USER_IN_WHITELIST). So, if you were to stop scoring
at 30 points, you might stop checking a message that is supposed to be
whitelisted, if it managed to score 30 points before the whitelist rule
matched... It's generally a recipe for mistakes, which is why this
feature was removed from SA somewhere around SA 2.3x several years ago..

Re: Stop tests when score is high

Posted by OliverScott <ol...@fhsinternet.com>.
Not that I am aware of...

The complication with this would be the order in which tests are carrierd
out - you might have a genuine email which hits some good and some bad
tests, and if the bad tests are hit first then you might have a problem!

However it is a feature I would like to see as it could be used in
conjunction with the Short Circuit pluggin.

I am currently using short circuit to improve spam processing speed. I have
set fast tests and rules with a high accuracy to run first (using a low,
negative, priority), and when specific combinations of rules fire which
should never cause false positives, I then break out of further testing and
clasify the email as spam.