Posted to oro-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2006/04/11 20:58:18 UTC

Re: expression bundle

In message <p0623093cc05974e4a6fb@[10.0.1.2]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>However, for some difficult regex's, there might need to be some
>support methods in order to make them readily usable.

Well, I suggest that if you have the motivation, cook something up and
submit it.  Adding a collection of useful regular expressions/parsing
functions with support classes for common tasks may breathe some new
life into the project.  I don't think it would conflict with anything
already going on in Commons.  Also, it's been suggested to move
Commons Lang out of Commons and to move ORO into Commons Lang.  The
addition you've suggested seems like a good fit either way.

daniel

Re: expression bundle

Posted by "Mark F. Murphy" <ma...@tyrell.com>.
At 2:58 PM -0400 4/11/06, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>In message <p0623093cc05974e4a6fb@[10.0.1.2]>, "Mark F. Murphy" writes:
>>However, for some difficult regex's, there might need to be some
>>support methods in order to make them readily usable.
>
>Well, I suggest that if you have the motivation, cook something up and
>submit it.  Adding a collection of useful regular expressions/parsing
>functions with support classes for common tasks may breathe some new
>life into the project.  I don't think it would conflict with anything
>already going on in Commons.  Also, it's been suggested to move
>Commons Lang out of Commons and to move ORO into Commons Lang.  The
>addition you've suggested seems like a good fit either way.

OK.

I have a CSVIterator class I just wrote which used the my csv regex.
It basically takes a single line string in the constructor and allows
one to get the next field as needed.  There's also a helper method to
simply convert the iterator into a List:

List csvList = new CSVIterator(line).toList();

All we need to do is figure out how we'd like to package this stuff.

Should we have a different package name for the bundle?  What should
it be called?  Should we do a peer review process first?  Etc.

Also, I've got my RFC822 matcher which I could dust off and make
useful.  I'd have to figure out the best way to utilize it in a
helper class.

Lastly, it might be nice to put out a call for any additional regex
helpers.  I'm we've all written a few in the past.

I think I've got a US Address regex I wrote long time ago.  Though it
might be a bit too specific... but I think the US Post Office
publishes valid address formats.

mark