Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tony <to...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/06 04:30:59 UTC

Newbie question using svnserve

I set up an svn repository on my Linux desktop and imported a project,
checked out the files and ran some commits for testing. All O.K.

I then started svnserve to access the repository remotely from my Linux
laptop. When I access the repository using...

svn checkout svn+ssh://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path/to/project

I get the hole project including branches/ tags/ and trunk/ subdirectories.

However, I noticed that when I checkout the project from the desktop (local
to the repository), I get only the project files but not the branches/ tags/
and trunk/ subdirectories. Is this normal? Do I need to receive the branch/
tags/ and trunk/ subdirectories on my remote connection? Is there a way of
only getting the project files?

Thanks,
Tony

Re: Newbie question using svnserve

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 6, 2005, at 06:13, Tony wrote:

> Thanks.  After your reply I ran more examples and reviewed my
> command history on my desktop. I found that when I ran the
> following on the local desktop:
>
> $ svn checkout file:///path/to/project/trunk project
>
> it downloaded the project files without the trunk/ branches/ or
> tags/ subdirectories.  I then tried a similar command on my remote
> laptop (adding the extra "project" to the end):
>
> $ svn checkout svn+ssh://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path/to/project/trunk project
>
> It is not altogether clear to me how the extra "project" is
> interpreted.  Anyway it works.

Well, understand how it works. The syntax of svn checkout is very
staightforward. From svn help checkout:

> usage: checkout URL[@REV]... [PATH]
>
> If PATH is omitted, the basename of the URL will be used as the
> destination.

We'll just ignore the optional [@REV]... part here. Some examples to
make it clearer:

# Check out /path/to/project into a directory called project
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project

# Same thing
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project project

# Check out /path/to/project/trunk into a directory called trunk
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project/trunk

# Same thing
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project/trunk trunk

# Check out /path/to/project/trunk into a directory called project
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project/trunk project

# Check out /path/to/project/trunk into a directory called foobar
svn checkout $URL/path/to/project/trunk foobar

Re: Newbie question using svnserve

Posted by Tony <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.